Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

New user? Come say Hi!

idata
Employee

Are you new to the Movidius™ developer community? Come say Hi and introduce yourself to your new machine intelligence developer friends, mentors, and peers. Please follow these simple guidelines while posting questions to the forum:

1. Search first, it's quite possible that your questions may have already been answered on another discussion.

3. Be very descriptive of your problem, use well-chosen words for your topic heading, specify the software version and type of hardware you are using, explain steps to recreate your issue, etc.

5. Use text formatting (quote, code, spoiler) where applicable.

7. Have you looked at the "Quick Start Guide" yet?

These simple steps will make it easy for other members to easily understand your issue and potentially provide a fast response.

0 Kudos
54 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi All!

I just ordered my NCS and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I'm an amateur to computer vision and I'm very excited to play around with the NCS. I'll be working on projects that focus on increasing efficiency in agriculture.

-Isaac

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

No question. Just saying hi. Fascinated to go play with the SDK.

Last time I played with this tech was 20 years ago, trying to build up inference network recognizing a "Bach chorale" from its rules.

Interested (2017) in rule in monitoring compliance with national gambling rules (how to detect and deter certain additive behaviors).

Startup company … Mostly focused on gaming.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interested in using Deep Learning ANN's for classifying psychophysical signals Heart Rate Variation (HRV) Skin Conductivity and Facial Expressions for obtaining reactions to entertainment content Video and Web. I wanted to know whether the ASIC accelerator works for classifying non-visual signals? and how the acceleration compares with GPU's I have a GTX 1080? Can the USB stick accelerate any Neural Net that is written in Caffe or only a specific type of CNN? This is for a joint Academic UPENN/CMU and Entrepeneurial Venture. Is there any possibility of obtaining a sample of the USB stick for experimentation?

On my host workstation if I have NVIDIA CUDA installed can its accelleration be combined with your "stick"?
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

This is exciting, I have been working with tensor and it consumes too much resources to train. I am looking forward to receiving my sticks and testing.

Best

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

My name's Simon Thorpe. I've been working in Neural Computing for decades… (yes!).

I'm really very intrigued by this new hardware that looks very exciting. I've got two of the Movidus Sticks on order to try them out.

I'm particularly interested in knowing to what extent the hardware can be used for doing other types of computations - beyond the standard deep learning stuff.

Any further specific details about what the hardware is capable of doing would be most appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

we are interested in adding Movidius support to POWER-Ki programming language and thus to PowerBerry (the porting of PWK on Win10Iot).

Let me know.

Regards,

CAP

See:

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi, I'm excited for this product. I am working in AR\VR technology and i waiting for something like this

Federico

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@laefsky, hi and thanks for your comment. Let me try to answer your questions… The NCS accelerates any Caffe network within the supported layers/features mentioned in the release notes which you can checkout here: https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/94/movidius-nc-sdk-1-07-06. We don't have comparison data for you at this time with regard to the GTX 1080. The SDK provided for the NCS does not make use of any other hardware such as NVIDIA/CUDA it is designed to optimize networks specifically for the NCS.

Hope that helps.

Neal

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @simonjthorpe. The SDK provided along with the NCS is focused on accelerating CNNs at this time so we can't offer any support on any other usages for the hardware, although feel free to try :-)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @XPLAB-CAP, I'm not familiar with PowerBerry / POWER-KI but the NC SDK software provided with the NCS currently supports Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop (x86.) There may be other supported systems in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi @neal what about win10Iot ?

THX

CAP
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does the NCS support newest Caffe2 framework as well as Caffe2Go?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@XPLAB-CAP Unfortunately Win10Iot is not currently a supported platform for the NC SDK.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@abu, Caffe2 and Caffe2Go aren't currently supported by the NC SDK however they may be at some point in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just ordered an NCS - supposedly shipping in a week. Meanwhile, I'm installing as much software as I can. I'm on Arch Linux, not Ubuntu 16.04. It's a newer kernel, etc., but binaries should work. If not I can always deploy a stock Ubuntu virtual machine to run all the cross-development tools.

Applications? FWIW I'm going to try to learn programming it at a low level rather than do image processing with the libraries. I did LIW (Floating Point Systems) programming for ten years, so it's not like the concepts are totally foreign to me.

Is there an emulator? I've got "caffe2" installed and can get "caffe", but I really want to get down to bare metal on this gizmo if I can.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Another question - is there a GitHub repo / community for the NCS?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all

No question. Just saying hi. waiting my NCS。
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello to all folks, a quick question it works with Python 3, so can we work in Jupyter notebook ? Thank peace @IoTeacher

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@rsolis, yes you can write applications in python3. If you are @ CVPR, come stop by Intel booth to see some demo applications built in python 3.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@znmeb, the MvNC SDK (SDK for NCS) currently isn't hosted on GitHub, but there might be a GitHub repo in the near future. Until then, please visit the download section for the latest MvNC SDK release - https://ncsforum.movidius.com/discussion/98/latest-version-movidius-neural-compute-sdk

0 Kudos