Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

Can the NCS be used with Smartphones?

idata
Employee

The Title of at least on YouTube Video says "AI for Smartphones….". Is it possible to offload ML inference from a mobile phone onto the NCS? Will any hardware changes be required or a simple USB C to USB A converter is enough to attach the NCS to a mobile phone?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

@farhanhubble Although the discrete VPU (which is the chip inside NCS) can be used inside a smartphone to offload vision processing, the NCS itself isn't designed to be used with a smartphone. That being said, the limitation isn't really with the hardware - I plugged the NCS to my Nexus 5X through a USB C to USB A converter and noticed that the OS recognized the device and started powering it. The challenge would be on the API framework side which is needed to load the binary graph (compiled on your host machine) onto the NCS, and then triggering inference by offloading images (from the smartphone camera or it's filesystem) to NCS. We do have a debian based package that installs the API framework on RPI (armhf), but this is where you hit a wall - can you install deb packages on an Android phone?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can probably use GNURoot Debian on Android, no root required.

I can test it if someone wants to donate an NCS, haha.

Thanks,

Jude
0 Kudos