Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Can I use NCS to work with others DNN instead of only CNN?

idata
Employee

Hi guys,

After reading the Toolkit User Guide and play with the examples, I wonder if the Myriad is only designed to work with CNNs.

I mean, can I use the Movidius Myriad 2 to use a regular either DNN or RNN?

Thanks,

Alex
0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

@alex Currently the Movidius NCS is designed to work with Convolutional Neural Networks. The SDK currently does not support Recurrent Neural Networks, but that may change in the future.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tomel_at_Intel,

Thanks for your prompt reply!

It's good news to know that you plan to support different DNN in the future, I'm very interested in using NCS to compute Deep Q Learning, A3C and GANs besides RNNs.

Thanks!

Alex
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes, please support RNNs such as LSTM, especially in TensorFlow. Better yet, support all of TensorFlow, including model training! This is going to be a huge market for IoT DNN hardware, and Movidius could lead it if you make a good API. Simple feedforward CNNs are a good start but not enough. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Does this mean, the hardware design is already compatible with e.g. RNN and it's just a matter of SDK?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Any updates on this? I would be very interested to use the Movidius neural compute stick for speech recognition with Mozilla DeepSpeech, which uses Tensorflow and an RNN.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The RNN support is the only issue that is holding me back from purchasing the device.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

same here

0 Kudos