Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.

NCS installation Error

idata
Employee

I just tried to install MDK on ubuntu16.04 LTS.

But I got an error during the step2 "make install"

It seems that I need to add "-fPIC" to the CFLAGS, but I don't know where to add it. Anybody help me please?

make[1]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

make[2]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

[ 2%] Built target proto

[ 2%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libcaffe.so

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpython3.6m.a(object.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against .rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC /usr/local/lib/libpython3.6m.a: error adding symbols: Bad value collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/build.make:3058: recipe for target 'lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0-rc3' failed make[3]: *** [lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0-rc3] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' CMakeFiles/Makefile2:272: recipe for target 'src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/all' failed make[2]: *** [src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/all] Error 2 make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed make[1]: *** [all] Error 2 make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' Installing caffe... make[1]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' make[2]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' [ 2%] Built target proto make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' make[3]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' make[3]: Entering directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build' [ 2%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libcaffe.so /usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpython3.6m.a(object.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

/usr/local/lib/libpython3.6m.a: error adding symbols: Bad value

collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/build.make:3058: recipe for target 'lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0-rc3' failed

make[3]: *** [lib/libcaffe.so.1.0.0-rc3] Error 1

CMakeFiles/Makefile2:272: recipe for target 'src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/all' failed

make[2]: *** [src/caffe/CMakeFiles/caffe.dir/all] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

Makefile:127: recipe for target 'all' failed

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory '/opt/movidius/ssd-caffe/build'

Installation failed. Error on line 498
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

@FREEMAN123 Are you installing the MDK (Myriad Developerment Kit) or Neural Compute SDK?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel

Oh, it's NCSDK, sorry I made a mistake.

I just successfully installed the NCSDK by recompiling my python3. But I think it's because the PYTHONTEST was skipped that made the installation successful.

Thanks very much!
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@Tome_at_Intel I seem to be running into a similar issue. When trying to install the ncsdk (1.12) on Ubuntu 16.04, I get an error on line 498 (the following);

[ 2%] Linking CXX shared library ../../lib/libcaffe.so

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/lib/libpython3.6m.a(object.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `PyBaseObject_Type' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Previously, I got the same error, except instead of "PyBaseObject_Type", I got ".rodata.str1.1" (same as the error discussed here). I then tried recompiling python 3.6 to recompile with -fpic, modifying the makefile, changing the configure command to include "--enable_shared", and yet I still end up not being able to complete the installation (the error changed to mention "PyBaseObject_Type". Not sure what the "PYTHONTEST" comment is about.

0 Kudos