Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ Toolkit
Community assistance about the Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit, OpenCV, and all aspects of computer vision-related on Intel® platforms.
6403 Discussions

Issue with NCS while running "make examples" or hello_ncs

idata
Employee

Hello,

I've recently acquired a NCS and have yet to manage finishing the setup:

1. System specifications : Oracle VM VirtualBox - Ubuntu Desktop 16.04 ; fresh install, 3GB of RAM ( host: i5-4440@3,1GHz and 12GB of ram running Windows 10 )

3. NCSDK version i believe it's 2.08 ( I've followed the github instructions for both the VM ( https://movidius.github.io/ncsdk/vm_config.html ) and the instalation ( https://movidius.github.io/ncsdk/install.html ) )

5. Python version Python 3.5.2

after running make install, everything seems to go OK

when running make examples, I can hear the "usb device disconnected" sound that windows plays, and then it crashes with error 7. after looking at a couple of pages on this forum, I've found a post that said that I should check if the usb can be seen by the VM

I've taken a couple of screenshots that can be found here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16o6T7LX2srP18Dmv_7ymyQJynOylsaZE

general explanation of photos:

boot-up.png has the output of dmesg and lsusb in relation to the NCS ( we can see it )

dmesg.png has the output of dmesg after running make examples ( the device just disconnects )

hello_ncs.png has the output of lsusb before running hello_ncs and the formers output ( the output of dmesg is similar to the previous one )

Any help would be of great use and greatly appreciated.

If I need to provide more info, I am willing to do so.

Thank you kindly,

Laur.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Laur. Have you found a solution? If so, please post. I had the same problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello azlefty,

I haven’t tried anything since posting. My next try would include a prpper ubuntu install, but that won’t happen until next week, since I haven’t got the hw available.

Best regards,

Laur
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

After doing a full install of Ubuntu, the examples were compiled without errors, and I was able to run a couple of them.

Now, the fun begins!

Best regards,

Laur
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@laupetre I have the EXACT same problem. I hear my virtualbox disconnecting the USB when I run "make examples" or "python3 hello_ncs.py". Any specific solutions?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just posted a suggestion on another thread to try. Let me know if this helps!

Did you setup the USB filters in the VirtualBox machine settings? I found that I also had to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack on Virtualbox. Once the extension pack was installed, I also loaded guest additions to the guest machine.

1. Start the Guest Machine

3. Devices -> Insert Guest Additions CD image…

5. Follow the prompt instructions

7. Reboot the Guest Machine

Regards,

Jesus
0 Kudos