Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

I usually use cloning as a backup option. If Intel Optane is disabled through RST: Will windows still boot to HDD so I can clone it? Or do I also need to disable in the bios before booting to windows.

kgall7
Beginner

Once the HDD is cloned, simply enable Intel Optane within RST, and reboot, YES?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Kent,

Also now I agree with you. The NVMe SSD is a preferred sollution for system and program disk. The SATA SSD is very good as a DATA disk or backup disk. I'm using fast NVMe SSD for O S. and programs. My data are saved on big in cheap and HDD. The backup is saved to an external HDD connected to my network.

Regards

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Your are doing right, that you are disabling Optane acceleration in order to make disk backup. No need to disabling Optane in bios. If you will try to change the SATA mode in bios from RST to AHCI, your Windows May be corrupted.
  2. Once the drive is back-upped, enable Optane again.

Leon

0 Kudos
kgall7
Beginner

Thanks, Leon. I might want to remove the Intel Optane although I have seen the advantage with HDD. Since I used scheduled cloning in the past, with Optane enabled, I would need to complete the disable, clone and enable Optane every time. I think I will use NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD in place of the Optane module and SATA SSD as backup. I guess I will need to look into setting up the BIOS. Again, thank you for your help. kent

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi Kent,

Also now I agree with you. The NVMe SSD is a preferred sollution for system and program disk. The SATA SSD is very good as a DATA disk or backup disk. I'm using fast NVMe SSD for O S. and programs. My data are saved on big in cheap and HDD. The backup is saved to an external HDD connected to my network.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos