FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Generic Quad SPI for MT25QL512ABB8ESF

SOtsr
Beginner

Hi all i'm trying to interface the Micron MT25QL512 Flash device by using the Altera Generic Quad SPI controller.

I'm using the Cyclone V SOC.

When i try to access the Memory Avalon slave it seems that the interface works fine. i can write and read back the written data (even after power down and power up). When i try to access the CSR registers i can read the RD_DID and other registers but specificily when i try to write to the MEMORY_OP register (address 0x3 in CSR) the instance assersts the Waitrequest and kind of stucks on it.

i configure the IP to the flash that im try to interface with and in standard mode.

in the board, the flash is connected to the FPGA as follows:

DQ0,DQ1- connected to the FPGA through a 20ohm resistor

DQ2 - has a 10kohm pullup resistor and connected to the FPGA through a 20ohm resistor.

DQ3 - connected to the FPGA through a 20ohm resistor.

did any one seen his kind of scenario?

p.s. originally i worked in Quartus 16.1, i tried to downgrade to 15.1 (i succesfully worked with this IP in the past in this version) and even upgraded to 18.1 but still it acts the same.

Please HELP

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what is the CLK frequency used on the IP and what is the SPI baud rate setting used?

Could you provide me the step used to write or read into CSR?

0 Kudos
SOtsr
Beginner

Hi

the clock is 25MHz. the SPI baud rate is not configurable (with the help of a scope ive seen the clock frequency is 25[MHz] also.

meanwhile ive noticed that in version18.1 there is a new IP called Generic Quad SPI II Controller. tried to use this IP and when i access the MEMORY_OP register now it doesnt stuck.. but it still not erasing the sectors i want to erase.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you provide me the step you use to performed the operation? Anything that you performed on the IP CSR?

0 Kudos
SOtsr
Beginner

sorry but when you say step what do you mean? what do i write?

i write to address 0x3 (0xC from the master) the data 0x2, which is to erase sector 0 as far as i understand... i tried to write 0x4 and then 0x2 (write enable and then erase) but still doesnt work.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what is the I/O mode used in your IP? Have tried to change the I/O mode of the IP?

Have you tried to performed Sector Protect to make sure that the sector protect is not enabled?

Have you tried to read the "FLASH_RD_STATUS" from the IP after performing sector erase?

What is the IP that you are using as the Avalon Master? Have you tried to use SignalTap to tap the Generic Quad SPI Avalon interface to see if you are having the correct timing?

0 Kudos
SOtsr
Beginner
Hi i work in standard I/O mode (not QSPI) didnt try to change to QSPI yet... yes i tried to perform sector protect but still i can write to the sector i "protected" the RD_STATUS register after power up is 0x2. after any action i make (erase or write protect) the register value is 0x0. the master is the HPS H2F bridge. i work with the UBOOT. also, i run the system with signal tap. the SPI interface is working fine. the avalon interface seems to be looking good also...
0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know what is the setting used on the IP?

0 Kudos
SOtsr
Beginner
I just wrote it in the comments above..
0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you provide the screenshot of the IP setting parameter? I would like to confirm if everything is correct.

0 Kudos