Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

Intel 3165 Failing to Reconnect to Wifi

RCauv
Beginner

This problem seems to be nearly identitical to what @FFayz​ reported in "Intel 3165 losing connection to wi-fi". @LeoC_Intel​ recommended I open this separate thread.

I have a fresh and fully-updated installation of Windows 10 Pro on my computer. Though I have configured the PC's wireless network to "connect automatically", it does not do so. If, for example, I reboot the computer, it does not connect to the wireless network. I have to manually connect it. The driver and version that shows in the wifi properties is Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 19.51.21.1, which appears to be the latest version. I nevertheless did try downloading "WiFi_21.10.1_Driver64_Win10.exe" and installing it, but the installer silently quit after a couple of seconds displaying a rotating cursor.

I have followed the instructions in the above-referenced thread to generate event logs while reproducing the problem. While initially connected to the "PlazaLofts" wireless network, which is configured to "connect automatically", I:

1. Cleared the System and WLANAutoConfig event logs.
  2. Connected to the "quiche - 5GHz" wireless network (thereby dropping the connection to the "PlazaLofts" network).
  3. Disconnected from the "quiche - 5GHz" network.
  4. Verified that the "PlazaLofts" network is still configured to "connect automatically".
  5. Waited for a couple of minutes. The machine did not automatically reconnect to the "PlazaLofts" network.

Please note that this problem with reconnects occurs with other wireless networks I have tried.

Please find the System event log and the WLANAutoConfig event log. Also, I have filled out what I can in the Intel Windows WiFi Issue - Customer Info Request.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for posting in the Intel Community.

In order to have more details about your system please provide me with the Intel® System Support Utility for Windows* report.

·        The TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

·        Steps to save the report:

1-   Run the utility.

2-   Click on “Scan” to get the scanned system.

3-   Once the scan is complete click on “next”.

4-   Use the “save” option, save the report to your desktop.

5-   To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Does the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 come pre-installed on the system?

Regards,

Leonardo C.                        

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

The Intel wifi hardware came with the machine. The machine did not come with any software, drivers, or OS installed. As I mentioned previously, I installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Pro, which apparently installed the driver for the wifi hardware.

Please find the report from the Intel System Support Utility here.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for the information, allow me to investigate the behavior that you are having, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for waiting.

·        Please try the following:

1.   Within the device manager, under VIEW, choose "show hidden devices"

2.   Disabled the "microsoft wifi direct virtual adapter"

3.   Disable the "microsoft hosted network virtual adapter"

4.   Restart

·        Another workaround which worked for many users was to enable the option which allowed the computer to put the Wi-Fi device to sleep to save power.

1.   Within the device manager, right click on the wireless adapter then, go to properties.

2.   Head over to the Power Management tab and make sure that “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” is checked.

3.   Save changes, exit and restart your computer.

·        Another workaround:

1.   Click on the WiFi icon in the taskbar.

2.   Click on Network Settings

3.   Under the Wireless Network Connection section, choose Manage Wi-Fi Settings. Then from under Manage Known Networks, Click the name of the wireless network and choose to Forget.

4.   Restart the computer. Click on the WiFi icon in the taskbar and click on your WiFi network from the list of available networks.

5.   Make sure that you check the Connect automatically. Click on Connect and enter the security code for the network.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Thank you, @LeoC_Intel​, but none of these options solved the problem.

I disabled the "Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter" but could not find "Microsoft Hosted Network Virtual Adapter". I rebooted, and the wifi network I had set to reconnect automatically did not, in fact, connect automatically.

I had already tried checking and unchecking the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” option in Power Management, and neither setting caused the wifi to reconnect automatically after reboot.

I also tried "forgetting" the wifi network, rebooting, manually connecting to it again with the "connect automatically" box checked, and rebooting, but again, the wifi did not reconnect automatically after the boot.

What is the next step in finding a solution to this problem?

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for all the testing that you have performed, after all the workarounds and if this behavior is only happening with this laptop this might be due to an operating system (OS) corruption, in this case, we recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) if the system requires a clean OS to avoid losing the license or affecting the warranty of the system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Thank you for guiding me through steps to diagnose, and attempts to remedy, the problem. I am disappointed in the conclusion that it is operating system corruption.

At the outset of this thread, I noted:

1. I am not the only person who has reported this issue. @FFayz​ reported having it as well.
  2. I have a fresh and fully-updated installation of Windows 10 Pro on my computer.

As the output of the Intel system support utility shows, the computer is not laptop computer. It is an Azulle Inspire desktop machine. It came as a "barebones" machine and did not have the OS pre-installed. I installed it using a freshly-downloaded media creation tool from the official Microsoft website.

Would it perhaps help to have another Intel customer support technician take a fresh look?

I hope others who are experiencing this issue, including @FFayz​, chime in so that it gets the attention it deserves.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for the clarification o would like to confirm with you if the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 comes pre-installed on the system or did you change adapter that came pre-installed?

We recommend using the drivers provided by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) since those drivers have been customized for each of their systems, also recommend reporting with them this behavior

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

As I have mentioned a few times already, the machine was "barebones" and did not come with an operating system or drivers. The machine did come with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 hardware.

I have spoken with representatives of the OEM (Azulle), asking them specifically if they have customized versions of the Intel driver. They replied that they have not customized the Intel driver. Hence I am using the latest (version 19.51.22.2) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 driver from Intel. (I have also tried versions 19.51.19.1 and 19.51.22.1 of the driver, which also didn't solve the automatic reconnect issue.)

An Azulle representative said that, when they do sell machines with an operating system and drivers installed, the pre-installed software "image" contains driver version 19.51.8.3 from Intel. Would it be possible for you to provide that version for me to try? (It no longer appears to be available for download on the Intel support website.)

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

The Wireless driver version 19.51.8.3 is the installed driver number for the Intel® wireless drivers version 20.120.1 (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28623/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=89450), the driver details are found in the Detailed Description.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Thank you, @LeoC_Intel​, but the page at the link you provided states:

The 20.120.1 package installs the Windows® 10 Wi-Fi drivers for the following Intel® Wireless Adapters:

• 20.120.1.1 for 9560/9260/9462/9461 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 20.70.6.11 for 8265/8260 (Only available in 64-bit version)
  • 19.51.18.11 for 7265(Rev. D)/3165/3168
  • 18.33.15.11 for 7265(Rev. C)/7260/3160

As you can see, it gives 19.51.18.11 as the driver version number for the 3165 wireless adapter. Are you saying that version 19.51.18.11 is the same as version 19.51.8.3?

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

My apologies I miss read the drivers numbers, let me see what I can do to find the driver 19.51.8.3, I will be posting back as soon as possible.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

Hi @LeoC_Intel​, were you able to locate version19.51.8.3 of the driver? Any other updates on this issue or other Intel reps who might have ideas?

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for waiting.

Please confirm the following details:

·        What is the router model/maker?

·        Has tried different router/AP?

·        Does this issue happens when only this computer is connected to the network?

·        how many devices are connected to the same network?

·        Does this issue occurs while using another device?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

As I previously mentioned, I have experienced this issue with multiple wireless networks (and routers). Two that I have tried include the ASUS RT-AC66U router and the HP ProCurve MSM310 access point.

Yes, the problem with this computer not automatically connecting occurs no matter how many other devices are connected to the network. For example, I have about 8 other devices connected to the ASUS router. None of these other devices has any trouble automatically reconnecting, but the computer at issue here does not automatically connect. With the HP ProCurve access point, typically no other devices are connected, and the computer at issue here does not automatically connect. I must manually connect it, which means that I lose the connection when the computer (or router or AP) reboots.

Do you think it will be possible to provide version 19.51.8.3 of the driver?

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

The older drivers versions are no longer available since they were fixed and updated in new versions to avoid security issues. At this point, since the issue was caused merely after a Windows OS update I would recommend checking with either Microsoft support or OEM.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

@LeoC_Intel​  Thank you for checking on the older versions of the driver. Even if an older version has security issues, it might yield useful information if I installed it and found that it resolved the issue. We would then know that the issue is due, at least in part, to the driver.

In any case, your statement that "the issue was caused merely after a Windows OS update" is false. As I have mentioned repeatedly in this thread, upon receiving my brand new barebones computer, I performed a fresh installation of Windows 10 using the installer from the Microsoft website. I never had any other version of any operating system installed on the machine. The problem with failing to automatically connect to wifi has existed from day one and persists to this day.

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

After all the steps that have been taken and since the issue has persisted we recommend contacting the OEM doe a possible hardware issue and if necessary replacement options.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
RCauv
Beginner

I have been working with the OEM as well to diagnose the issue. One thing we discovered yesterday is that the wifi is automatically connecting at startup but disconnects within about thirty seconds. As I have mentioned before, when I manually connect to the wifi, it stays connected.

Perhaps something during the startup sequence is causing it to disconnect.

I also was able to obtain and try two older versions of the driver, including version 19.51.8.3. Neither of the versions fixed the issue.

Roger

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello RCauv

Thank you for the update on the behavior with this information the this seems to be related to the integration and the OS.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos