Intel® SoC FPGA Embedded Development Suite
Support for SoC FPGA Software Development, SoC FPGA HPS Architecture, HPS SoC Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems
444 Discussions

Cyclone V: Core 0: Bare-Metal, Core 1: Linux OS

AJama4
Beginner

Is it possible to run the bare-metal application on Core 0 and Linux based monitoring application (no real-time feature required) on Core 1. If yes, the please can you kindly just elaborate the steps needed to achieve this.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I'm not sure if Intel have the documentation to guide you, but there are some tutorials on bare metal for Cyclone V for utilizing multiple cores such as:

https://code-time.com/baremetal.html

There are also a similar post discussion using a Bare Metal on Core 0 and Linux on Core 1:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyGYhSAM/boot-two-cores-in-cyclone-v-with-two-different-programs-or-os

Hope this helps.

Regards.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I apologize, but Intel doesn't has the documentation regarding usage of Core 0 for baremetal and Core 1 for linux.

I would really suggest you check the first link on my previous reply.

https://code-time.com/baremetal.html

There, User Guide are available to guide you through and Read Me.txt that is included with important details.

You could try and sent some questions from the link, About Us > Contact Us > Email Us > Info.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you try the examples in the link i provided?

0 Kudos
AJama4
Beginner

Hello,

I have tried the examples and it works. The functions such as TSKsetCore and TSKcreate, which are used to set the core and assign the program snippet to run on the desired core, has its source code hidden, as obvioulsy, it is not open source I guess. These functions are the ones most interesting for me. As I can roughly guess, that here, the core 1 is assigned to run a specific block of code. Now, I have a simple question---As I dont want to use the SMP RTOS version just to assign the core 1 to do a specific task;--- I need to just know the following;

"How can I write a short sequence of instructions for Core#0 in bare-metal to inform core#1 of where to start executing the program?? "

If I know this answer, then I am through hopefully.

P.S: I have run two different bare-metal programs on two corresponding ARM cores in Cyclone V (Cortex-A9) in DS5 using JTAG line. The SDRAM is shared between the two cores as is evident from the cache settings which is set to "shared" by default. Core 1 is held in reset after a system reset is issued (Cold or warm). After reset, Core 0 is allowed to execute instructions. I know how to release the core 1 from reset and it works perfectly. In DS5 using JTAG chain I could easily run two different programs on Core#0 & Core#1, but my question pertains to the bare-metal program running from SD card.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Based on my understanding, you would probably need a start up sequence for the Core#1 before releasing reset.

0 Kudos
AJama4
Beginner

Hi,

Obviously, but what should I do in the start-up sequence to inform Core#1 of where to start the program? Could you please give me hint, probably a short textual instruction of what should be done sequentially. There is no help available in the TR manual about this topic specifically nor in the forum.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I apologize we do not have the documentation regarding the examples on this.

As mention previously, for examples I suggest that you refer to https://code-time.com/baremetal.html.

Regards.

0 Kudos
AJama4
Beginner

I guess this forum was also meant to address issues that are not being addressed well in the documentation. This is no excuse as I have bought your Product and the functionality exists so I should be informed of how it works at least some hint of what should I do if it isn't in the documentation. I have spent almost two months figuring it out myself and now you are just indirectly saying that I could not take help from anywhere so my efforts were futile. You are again directing me to this site as if I haven't gone through it. My long previous reply was meant to explain to you why it isn't relevant in my case. I am really disappointed by Intel's customer service. It's a pity that such important questions could not be answered in the forum.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I sincerely apologize that we do not have the design examples from our design stores that could help with your request.

0 Kudos
AJama4
Beginner

How can I get premium technical support for Cyclone V FPGA devices? Could you please share the link

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Let me check with our internal team, I shall come back to you with the information.

0 Kudos
AJama4
Beginner

I could not see the FPGA products when I got to Intel Premium support page and fill the form.

0 Kudos