Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

NIOS II Hello world

JBlec2
Beginner

Hi for my little excerice project i need to follow a instruction.

It says, that i need to implement the NIOS II Soft Core Processor onto my DE10 nano cyclone V Board:

https://www.mouser.de/new/terasic-technologies/terasic-de10-nano-kit/

I work with Quartus 18.1

First i opened the Plattform Designer and selected the described IPs. I made the interconnections Assigned the Base Adresses and generated the HDL .qip.

The .qip file needs to be included into the Project.

Then i wrote a little toplvl in system verilog. it instantiates a NIOS II... i think...

Then i compiled everything . The result is a .sof file which i downloaded to the cyclone V .

Now it was possible to open Eclipse, select the sopcinfo file and the processor and create a new niosII simple example.

It is necessairy to build all and check the run as configurations. There i checked the connection to the nios II. it looked ok...

I pressed run.

But no hello world came out on the console of the NIOS :,(

I will add more details soon ! ( It takes a while to collect all the data )

🏄 I hope we will find a solution

Best regards from germany :D

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JBlec2
Beginner

attachment

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

a part of the .qip file that comes out of the "generator HDL" at the plattform designer

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

the toplevel that instanciates the nios

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

what i have done so far

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Blech,

Are you loading correct sopcinfo file??

1. Your Quartus project or Qsys system is in a directory C:\intelFPGA_lite\18.1\test1806 and you are loading .sopcinfo file from C:\intelFPGA_lite\projects\de10_nano_rh ???
  2. Is onboard user LED's working as per tour logic??

if LEDs are working, recreate the eclipse project and check.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Hi Anand,

i have no idea if this is the correct .sopcinfo file. recently i really thought about it. and i also looked for another sopcinfo file but didnt find one.

now i will look again ! maybe there is a project specific sopcinfo file.....

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Yes, sopcinfo file is specific for a given project.

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Hello from Nios II!

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

Omg it worked

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

just because of the sopcinfo file direction

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Good to know, Thanks for update.

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

today i asked myself again why hello world doesnt work this time ! i think i need to integrate a UART communication Interface to the avalon bus - then the nios can output its data "hello world "- i am now compiling everything. i takes extremly long time xD

0 Kudos
JBlec2
Beginner

oh to make the compilation faster we should turn off some options in assignment setting s ! now it compiles 5 times faster...

0 Kudos