Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4862 Discussions

i40e driver periodically reports "speed changed to 0 for port" -- why?

VRago
Beginner

We are using the following NIC and driver:

b3:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28 (rev 02)

b3:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller XXV710 for 25GbE SFP28 (rev 02)

7423e63e715b92:~ # ethtool -i enp179s0f0

driver: i40e

version: 2.1.14-k

firmware-version: 6.01 0x8000349f 1.1747.0

expansion-rom-version:

bus-info: 0000:b3:00.0

supports-statistics: yes

supports-test: yes

supports-eeprom-access: yes

supports-register-dump: yes

supports-priv-flags: yes

Periodically, the kernel will report messages as follows:

Oct 02 14:39:13 7b76743f91b2fb kernel: i40e 0000:b3:00.0 enp179s0f0: speed changed to 0 for port enp179s0f0

There is some indication that, when this is reported, network connectivity becomes impaired. We are running openSUSE with kernel 4.12.14-lp150.11-default.

Questions:

1. Is this a known issue with the driver in use?
  2. How can this issue be resolved?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VRago,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Kindly provide the 4-in-1 label of the network adapter for us to identify if it is retail or OEM version. You may provide photos of the adapter focusing on the markings for us to double check on it.

You may refer to the link below on where to find the 4-in-1 label.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007060/network-and-i-o/ethernet-products.html

Looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
VRago
Beginner
Crisselle, Please find attached a photo of the NIC. Thank you, Vincent
0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VRago,

Thank you for the reply.

It seems you missed to attach the photo of the NIC. Kindly attach it on the forum link below.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004T1JzT/i40e-driver-periodically-reports-speed-changed-to-0-for-port-why

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
VRago
Beginner

Crisselle,

Please find attached the photo below.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VRago,

We appreciate your reply.

Upon checking, this is Supermicro OEM version of Intel Ethernet adapter. For OEM version of Ethernet adapter, it would be best if you can get in touch with the manufacturer for further support since they have customized drivers and software to enable or alter features on your system. They are in best position where you can seek assistance so you don’t lose features or customizations of the adapter. You may visit this link for the List of Supported Retail Intel® Ethernet Adapters

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005612/network-and-io/ethernet-products.html

We would highly appreciate if you can share an update once you've contacted Supermicro. Let us know if you have additional questions and clarification on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VRago,

Good day!

We'd like to check if you were able to contact Supermicro to request for further assistance. If you have additional questions and clarifications on this matter, please let us know.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello VRago,

How are you today?

Please be informed that we will now proceed in closing this request since we haven't received any response from our previous follow up.  Should you have any other concerns or assistance needed in the future, you may reply to this post for the next few days or post a new question.

Best regards,

Crisselle C

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos