Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

blackbox file

DNguy4
Beginner

Hi,

I have a VHDL blackbox file my_file_bb.vhd in which I declare all the input and output ports.

When I instantiate it from another program ... entity TEST: my_file port map.... Quartus keeps complaining that object my_file is used but not declared. I thought the blackbox file already takes care of all the declarations. Do I need to do anything else to use the blackbox file?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

Have you done the declaration of component for my_file_bb.vhd in TEST ?

Please refer the below video for the reference & try at your end,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUVDRNeywI8

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

May I know any update or should I consider that case to be closed?

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
DNguy4
Beginner

yes, it's closed. Sorry that i cannot log in for a long time.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Can you post your code for the black box file and the instantiation? That would help to analyze this.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
Abe
Valued Contributor II

The issue here is you've used the VHDL black box module without declaring it. Before you use the BB module in your VHDL Architecture block via a Port Map, you have to declare the BB module as a Component. All you need to do is to add a component declaration for the black box module under the Architecture block and then use it in the Port Map.

Architecture RTL of XXX Is

Component my_file Is

Port (

);

end component;

Begin

Port Map ( );

It should resolve the issue. Else post back with your code and we'll help you resolve it.

0 Kudos
DNguy4
Beginner

It's working now. I forgot to declare it as a component.

Thanks

0 Kudos