Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

Setting vsync to OFF on HD graphics 630 does not work !

MLaim
Beginner

I have an Intel 8700K processor with integrated HD Graphics 630.

In the Intel graphic configuration panel I have specified the "Game" executable and set vertical synchronisation to OFF, but when running it the frame rate is capped to 60 (refresh rate of the LCD display) whatever I do...

The program I try to run with vsync off is an old benchmark (3Dmark2000.exe from Futuremark) that does not force vsync. Even if it is an old software it should nonetheless work and vsync should be disabled which is not the case because the FPS are always capped to 60 !

I use the latest drivers/software :

configuration panel: 1.100.1725.0

Graphic driver: 26.20.100.7323

DirectX: 12

Graphic BIOS: 1054

Can you help me please ?!

I am quite sure I will have the problem with other graphic software as well...

Regards

0 Kudos
4 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello MLaim,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

Have you tested any other application to see if the Vsync is still causing issues? This is important since the issue could be related to the software itself. Also remember that some applications can lock the framerate as well. 

To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps: 

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R. 

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop). 

4. Attach the report to this thread. 

Which other graphics software are you referring to? 

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
MLaim
Beginner

Hello David,

Thanks for the answer.

Meanwhile I have installed and tried "3Dmark2001 SE" which is the next benchmark in the series (I was referring to this kind of software when saying I might have problems with other software), and to my big surprise this one worked well ! I had FPS in the hundreds with no cap !

In the past I have run "3Dmark2000" with my old PC and an nvidia Graphic Card and never had a FPS cap problem when vsync was off, so I am quite baffled that this problem appears only for 3Dmark2000 on a 8700K and that 3Dmark2001 SE does not have the same problem. This may indeed suggest that 3Dmark2000 does something different.

But despite this fact I even did not have to make a special profile for 3Dmark2001 SE to get it run right, i.e I did not have to specify explicitly I wanted vsync off for it to run correctly. Whereas for 3Dmark2000 I even created a specific profile where I stated explicitly that vsync be OFF but it would not be the case in practice... I am quite puzzled there.

So there might still be something to improve in the driver in this special case, because If one has a specific profile for a game or a benchmark one would expect this to be applied whatever other options are set in the game/benchmark, because at driver level one should be closer to the hardware.

Also 3Dmark2000 does not have any option where to choose vsync set up.

As attachment you will find the DxDiag analysis file as requested.

But now that 3Dmark2001 SE worked without doing anything I think it's not a setup problem, I think that something in 3Dmark2000 (which otherwise and all previous times I used it on different computers with different Graphic Cards never forced vsync to ON !) interacting with the HD 630 Graphics Driver causes vsync set up to be ignored.

I think it's very technical and only the team who developed the HD 630 Graphics Driver might track down the problem and eventually solve it.

I am aware of the fact that 3Dmark2000 is an ancient outdated software not designed for modern graphic devices, and therefore I know it might not incite a lot of enthusiasm and support, I can live without a fix to that but I still think it's a "nice to have" thing.

In any case maybe there is something to learn about it in terms of compatibility.

Regards

Michael

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello MLaim,

Thank you for your response.

I am currently looking into this, please allow me some time and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello MLaim,

Thank you for patiently waiting. 

I appreciate you taking the time to report this issue to us, since this is a very old program, chances of our development team to investigate this are very low, thus, I cannot promise any particular outcome.

Please look forward to future updates for your graphics adapter! 

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos