Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Can you lower the maximum supported resolution of Intel HD Graphics drivers.

Aaek0
Beginner

Dear Forums,

I'm testing out extreme display overclocking on Intel HD Graphics. I have a fresh install of windows with the recommended and max resolution set to be 1024x768. I want to install the Intel HD Graphics drivers for my cpu's integrated graphics card with this resolution being set to 1600x900 instead of 1920x1080. Is there a way to change the maximum supported resolution of the graphics driver? The maximum supported resolution becomes flashed as the native and/or recommended resolution. If I am able to lower this amount (to 1600x900 for example) the display will free up some of it's bandwidth. More bandwidth = higher overclock capabilities.

In case, people ask. Just switching to a lower resolution will not free up more bandwidth. The recommended resolution is sent from the Display Graphics to windows during the installation process of the Graphics driver. The bandwidth will then be used up according to THAT resolution.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

Aaek0, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, no, it is not possible to lower the maximum supported resolution of Intel® HD Graphics drivers. The Intel® Graphics controller has the option to support many different resolutions, but the maximum supported resolution is set based on the native resolutions supported by the monitor and the ones detected by the Operating System.

Since you are testing extreme display overclocking, to use a custom resolution will actually overclock the Intel® Graphics controller of the Intel® Processor, doing that might harm the system and that is why we do not recommend to do that.

Now, if you are interested in confirming which are the native resolutions supported by your monitor, we can always assist you with that, please provide the Graphics and SSU report so we can verify those details:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel     

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Aaek0, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

A Contingent Worker at Inte

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Aaek0, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos