Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

How to fix multiple monitor problem?

JVanV5
Beginner

I have 2 year old desktop running Windows 10 with 1 vga and 1 dvi output on Intel 530 graphics adapter. These 2 worked fine in past: At each startup the VGA monitor came up and then I needed to go into (now abandoned) Intel Graphics Control Panel to Detect the DVI monitor.

The new Intel Graphics Command Center cannot find the DVI monitor.

Further testing: I rebooted with only the DVI monitor attached and nothing came on the DVI monitor. Switching to the VGA monitor input and it worked fine. I don't have a second DVI cable to test with but I think it is OK since the change happened simultaneously with the change in Intel graphics programs.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You can still download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/en-as/p/intel-graphics-control-panel/9ndlclmmtmrc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Leon

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

I loaded the software as you suggested but it does not open, even after multiple reboots. A message finally came up saying I needed an earlier Display Adapter so I rolled it back to an old Microsoft version. Still nothing works. And the usual Control Panel Display settings panel also does not see the DVI monitor (it never has). Has Intel zapped it somehow in favor of the new graphics manager?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Sorry, I can't help you more. You wrote in your first post that Intel Graphics Control Panel (IGCP) worked in your configuration. Now the IGCP is replaced by Intel Graphics Command Center which is not good for you. As you requested, I've given a link for downloading IGCP.

Leon

0 Kudos
Lewis-H
New Contributor I

Step 1: Right-click your desktop and select “Display Settings,” from the menu that appears.

Step 2: Click the monitor you wish to edit in the top window.

Step 3: Scroll down and look for the heading “Scale and layout.” Underneath “Resolution,” use the drop-down menu to select your monitor’s correct resolution

If this process doesn’t work, make sure that your monitor and graphics card can run at your chosen resolution. If you’re still running into problems, try updating your graphics drivers.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

Lewis

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

@JVanV5​ What version of Windows 10? 1909? 1903? Make sure your windows is updated first.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

I'm on auto-update. It is Windows 10 Pro 1909.

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

Thank you Lewis-H and Al-Hill. I have looked into both of your suggestions and no resolution. It is either deeper than these or simpler--such as I need a new DVI cable! I'll get one today to see if that helps.

I think the most important clue right now is the DVI monitor does not come on if it is the only one plugged into the CPU.

These are both HP W2072a monitors that have both DVI and VGA inputs.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Jim

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVanV5, I just wanted to check if you were able to test the PC with a different DVI cable and if the problem persists after that?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

Alberto, Yes, I tried a new DVI cable and still there was no connection to the DVI monitor ports on either display initially or on reboot.

At that point I discussed this with my local computer tech who sold me the desktop 2 years ago. He is getting me a new graphics card that will have one DVI and two HDMI outputs. With a HDMI to DVI adapter cable I should be working again. I'll give an update once that is done.

Thank you for your interest in helping.

Jim

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi JVanV5, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you will get a new graphics card in order to try to fix this problem.

Take your time, test it and once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

Alberto and anyone else with insights into this:

I took my compact CPU in to my computer guy and he said there was no room for the new card in this box. So he took my cpu and booted up and connected cables to each of the two outputs DVI and VGA which tied into two displays that he uses all the time, one VGA and the other DVI. They immediately came up as two extended screens!!! He connected and disconnected multiple times and my CPU noticed the changes immediately--working like I have been hopine it would. I had him try the DVI cable that he had loaned me and it too worked fine. BUT...

When I went back to my office and hooked things up in exactly the same way, the same problem happened: The DVI screen is not recognized. Jiggling or plugging/unplugging/plugging did not give a hint of connecting on the screen.

My thought is, this is a Monitor Driver issue. So I went to update the drivers, but to no avail. The monitors are HP W2072a monitors. They come up as "Economy models" with their serial number CNC345NNSL But there is no real help for me on the HP website.

Windows Update is on and I am fully up to date on Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVanV5, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Based on the fact that the Intel® Processor works fine on a different platform, it indicates that the unit and its graphics controller are working fine. 

So, as you mentioned, it seems to be that the problem then could be related to a Monitor Driver issue or to the motherboard itself.

I looked in HP's web site for a possible firmware update for the monitor and I found the driver below, please install it and let us know the results:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-value-20-inch-displays/7274733/model/5173336

If the problem persists after that, then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the board, a BIOS update might be needed on it, or with HP for them to provide further assistance on this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

Alberto, It has been a frustrating afternoon BUT I SOLVED THE PROBLEM! It was my loading the New Intel Graphics software that caused my problem. I went back to the old version of Graphics Control Panel with DCH Drivers and that was the secret: Here's the story:

Nothing would make the PC recognize the second DVI monitor. Then I eliminated the new Intel Graphics software that had loaded a week ago and started this problem. I loaded the old Intel software called Intel Graphics Control Panel and started it up BUT it said it would not work, that I needed the DCH drivers for Intel Graphics. I went online and found a place to download that and that did the trick.  

Now I boot up and only have one monitor, the VGA. But just like for the last couple of years, I then start the Intel Graphics Control Panel and go to Multiple Displays and discover the other. It does and I'm happy.  

I had received a notification via the old copy of the Intel Graphics Control Panel that I had used for 2 years that it was now being replaced with a new Intel product.... Now I am back to where I was and hope it does not try to auto-update to the new software!

PS: I did try to upgrade the HP Monitor drivers but there was not effect.

I appreciate your help. Enjoy the weekend.

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

Alberto, Perhaps you can explain why this happened, technically. Why did my computer guy's monitors work with DVI but mine did not. I do know that these were produced before Windows 10. Jim

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hi JVanV5, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem got fixed by installing the Intel® Control Panel and now you are able to use the DVI monitor.

Probably what happened is that at the moment that you removed the Intel® Graphics and Command Center the driver that was installed along with it was deleted as well, and when you installed the Intel® Control Panel a legacy Graphics driver was installed as well, that is why it requested to install the DCH driver and now it recognizes the DVI monitor as it previously did.

We can always confirm that information by getting into "Device Manager" right-click in the Intel® Graphics controller, select "Properties" and then the "Driver" tab to verify the graphics driver version currently installed.

In reference to the question of why the DVI monitor works fine when connected to the computer that belongs to the computer's guy, it is hard to tell for sure, every computer is different, we need to consider the chipset in it, motherboard and the design or customizations that were done to that platform, including the graphics driver version that is working on it. To make sure about that information you can always run the SSU report while both monitors are connected to the computer's guy system so we can confirm the components installed on that machine.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
JVanV5
Beginner

It was the DCH driver that made the difference (even though I have no idea why this was needed, technically). I was prompted to get that when the basic HD Graphics 530 driver could not find the DVI monitor. It took a while before I noticed this prompt. When I finally did see and understand it, I Googled to find the DCH driver and found it on the Intel site.

All of this is Greek to me, so I spent a day trying to figure it out. I'm sure others would appreciate if info on DCH drivers were in this Forum and other convenient places.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

JVanV5, Thank you very much for posting all that information.

Thank you very much also for clarifying and sharing the troubleshooting steps done in order to be able to fix this issue, we are sure those details will be very helpful and useful for all the peers viewing this thread in the Intel® Communities Support.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos