Items with no label
3335 Discussions

The latest version of Intel Driver and Support Assistant Installer (20.1.5.6) no longer finds my Intel products. (I cannot find a group to post this to but since at least one of the products it "should" find is an Ethernet driver, I posted here.)

TheAncient
Novice

Feel free to move this post to whichever group is most relevant

0 Kudos
55 Replies
AlHill
Super User

What is your laptop or system/motherboard model number?

What is your processor model number?

What operating system and version?

WHat is the model number of your LAN and WIFI?

What Intel products?

Doc

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the quick response!

I ran the’ Belarc Advisor’ and copied everything Intel related I could find in there.

Please be advised that previous versions of the Intel Driver and Support Assistant up to and including version 19.11.46.4 worked just fine and kept my system ‘humming’ for years.

What is your laptop or system/motherboard model number?

MSI X99S XPOWER AC (MS-7881) 1.0

What is your processor model number?

3.50 gigahertz Intel Core i7-5930K

What operating system and version?

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.628)

What is the model number of your LAN and WIFI?

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 #2

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V

Intel(R) I210 Gigabit Network Connection #2

Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)

What Intel products?

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller - 8D02

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset sSATA AHCI Controller - 8D62

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 - 8D26

Intel(R) C610 series/X99 chipset USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 - 8D2D

Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)

Intel - Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface version 1,42,17,0 (64-bit)

Intel - Driver & Support Assistant version 20.1.5.6

Intel - Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface version 11.0.0.1162

Intel - Integrated Clock Controller Service - Intel ICCS version 1.0.0.1

Intel - IntelSoftwareAssetManagerService.exe version 3.5.4135 (vvrao)

Intel - iumsvc.exe version 3.5.2247Intel - Management and Security Application Local

Management Service version 11.0.0.1162

Intel - PROSet Monitoring Service version 22, 0, 15, 0 (64-bit)

Intel - PROSet/Wireless version 20, 110, 0, 0 (64-bit)

Intel - Security Assist version 1.0.0.532

I also attached a screenshot of the output of the Intel Driver and Support Assistant.

I hope this gives you the information you require.

TheAncient

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Did you read the list of exclusions? It was recently updated

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032252/software/software-applications.html

You can "try" using this uninstall/cleanup tool, rebooting, clear your browser cache, and doing a clean install of IDSA:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29376/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Uninstaller?v=t

Doc

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice
  • I read the Exclusion list and while it does list Ethernet drivers (possibly a new exclusion?) it says nothing about the long list of other Intel products on my machine.

• I completely uninstalled the Intel Driver and Support Assistant using the tool you recommended.
  • After a reboot, I installed an older version (19.11.46.4) of the DSA. The intent here was, to determine which products DAS did detect in the past. Unfortunately, that older version only tells me: “You must upgrade to the latest version to continue”. This means, I cannot even find out, what DSA did update in the past.
  • Another uninstall, another reboot, a clean re-install of the latest version (20.1.5.6) and another run of that latest version resulted in the same “Sorry, we didn't find any supported Intel drivers or software” message.

I have the feeling, I have to wait until other people run into the same problem and start raising a ruckus. Failing that, I guess, I have to revert to manual updates.

0 Kudos
MSahl
Novice

Same over here with latest Windows and Chrome updates as of 9-Feb-2020 !!

Anyone has a solution please??

AlHill
Super User

@TheAncient​ Can you capture the log files in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA and attach them to this thread?

Thanks,

Doc

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

As requested, attached are the logs.

While glancing through those logs, one error message showed up multiple times: "Failed to initialize Lantern Rock telemetry. No telemetry enabled"

This looks like I blocked "something" in the firewall. I wasn't able to find any specifics about this error.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Thanks for the logs. I have forwarded them to the IDSA team.

Regarding the firewall, IDSA accesses localhost on posts 28385-28389. It also connects to www.intel.com, downloadcenter.intel.com, and downloadmirror.intel.com, all on port 443 (HTTPS).

Doc

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

I am able to click on all those links and, while I get a 403 (access forbidden) error on the download mirror, I can reach them all. Thus nothing on my end is preventing traffic to those addresses i.e. they are not blocked in the firewall settings.

0 Kudos
DLamb9
Beginner

I think you meant "ports 28385-28389", not "posts 28385-28389"

0 Kudos
DLamb9
Beginner

I have the same issue.

I could telnet to www.intel.com, downloadcenter.intel.com, and downloadmirror.intel.com on port 443.

I could also telnet to localhost on port 28385, but for ports 28386-28389, I got "Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port XXXXX: Connect failed".

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Hey, it passed the spelling check!<G>

Thanks for letting me know. I'll make the change in my canned response.

Doc

0 Kudos
DLamb9
Beginner

Previously, I logged this entry:

I could also telnet to localhost on port 28385, but for ports 28386-28389, I got "Connecting To localhost...Could not open connection to the host, on port XXXXX: Connect failed".

Since then, I followed the instructions on https://superuser.com/questions/1130078/how-to-tell-which-windows-firewall-rule-is-blocking-traffic. My firewall is not blocking telnet's attempt connect to localhost on ports 28386-28389. The event log shows "The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted a connection" and "The Windows Filtering Platform has permitted a bind to a local port" on attempts to telnet to ports 28386-28389.

This is the output of "netstat -a | find "2838" ":

TCP   127.0.0.1:28385       DJL-ASUS:0            LISTENING

The command "netstat -e" shows no errors.

0 Kudos
DLamb9
Beginner

Hi Doc,

Any progress on this issue? I have the same problem, and it's not going away.

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

The last answer from Intel (Adrian) on this topic was 3 months ago. When I asked about progress about a month ago, they did not bother to reply.

It seems to me, they don't care. We need more people to scream at them!

As for the caution you issued in a previous post: I am quite aware of the pitfalls of driver update programs (worked in IT for 50 years) so I make sure to back up absolutely everything and then some before I use something like that "Driver Booster" (I actually have a separate drive with a copy of my OS to try out "iffy" solutions like this one)

0 Kudos
DLamb9
Beginner

Thank you for the reply. Ordinarily, a lack of response can mean they don't care. But it's possible that COVID-19 has made their jobs more difficult, like working from home, and they're focused on higher priority issues. Or maybe they don't care.

Any idea how many installs of DSA are affected? Does DSA return telemetry to Intel? If so, can this telemetry can be used to deduce how many affected installs there are?

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

I originally posted about my troubles with DSA on February 10th. Even with Covid, this should have given Intel plenty of time to respond.

As for the telemetry, Intel can probably answer your questions. They likely can track the number of affected installs.

If I was trying to estimate the impact of a bug in MY software, I would definitely check how many customers are affected.

While it should not be too difficult for Intel to find out the number of installs (i.e. count how many people downloaded the software), I don't know how a "run-of-the-mill" user of DSA can access that information.

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice

It appears it doesn't like it when I try to attach multiple files so here is one more

0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice
0 Kudos
TheAncient
Novice
0 Kudos