Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4811 Discussions

Does Intel know that the up and coming Windows 10 2004 (20H1) has again broken NIC Teaming? On Windows Insider preview build, I tested with the latest v25.0 Intel Proset Network drives, a created team is showing disabled.

TDres
Novice

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Then, as an insider, you need to tell Microsoft about these problems, not Intel. This forum does not support betas or any nose-ring version of W10. You inform Microsoft, and Microsoft will work with Intel.

Doc

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

The issue is that Intel's drivers no longer work. Microsoft does their software and it may break the "Intel" driver, but it has always been Intel that fixes their drivers.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi TDres,

I am just sending another follow up if you still have questions or clarifications.

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this inquiry now.

If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Best regards,

Alfred S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

So you are going to close the inquiry when the issue is that Intel's drivers do not currently work in what will be the latest version of Windows 10. When this was reported to Intel before with the preview build of 1903, it was taken seriously. So basically your are saying that Intel is going to wait until the actual release of Windows 10 2004 and then get reports that your driver no longer works before doing anything. The issue will still be that Intel's drivers do not work in the latest Windows 10 version. Just be cause an non-informed customer makes statements then you will close the inquiry.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Well, since Microsoft broke the NIC teaming, twice now, what is Microsoft going to do about it? Are we to expect teaming to break with every release? What are you doing, as an insider, to raise and report this issue to the windows development team? Are you suggesting that all problems with all vendors hardware for a nose-ring release are brought to the attention of the hardware vendor via support forums? Have you raised this issue as part of your responsibility as an insider? Are you working in an official capacity for Microsoft by reporting this issue here, on a support forum? Is Mirosoft unaware that they broke the teaming?

There is an official arrangement for issues to be reported and addressed, between Microsoft and Intel, and they do not involve customer support forums and you.

The reality is that you are just a user on the insider group, who is obsessed with having the latest code, providing no feedback to Microsoft, and think you should be treated like you have a production OS.

Doc

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

Yes, it has been reported, Microsoft's new preview OS again broke teaming, but it has always been Intel that fixed the issue, because the driver is Intel's. No I don't think it's great that Microsoft keeps doing this, but I was trying to inform both parties before the final release came out. Just because it is a preview build doesn't make it any less valid. The last time this happened it was reported in the forums and it was fixed by Intel because of the report.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

So, it is your job to report these issues to support forums? What responsibility does Microsoft have in handling and escalating these issue in an official capacity?

If the driver worked before, and Microsoft's new code does not work, whose problem is that?

How many other vendors do you report problems to? Seems like you have overstepped your responsibility by trying to handle this yourself.

Sorry, but this forum handles released code, not beta code. And, I know that this is not the official support channel. And, if I were you, I would jump on Microsoft to resolve this with Intel, not you with Intel.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

By the way, I got the response that you deleted.

Doc (informed customer, not an intel contractor or employee)

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

I didn't delete anything.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Would you like me to forward it to you? PM me with your email address.

Doc

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi TDres,

Our sincere apologies if you felt neglected. We appreciate you bringing up this issue in our Intel® Ethernet Communities page, and we diligently checked your concern.

Here is our team’s statement about your concern:

Support for Microsoft Windows* 10, (20H1) will be available in a future Software (SW) Release.

Note: The current release SW 25.0 does not support Microsoft Windows* 10 (20H1) preview.

The Intel Ethernet team is responsible for validating and submitting new driver packages to Microsoft for inclusion on Windows Update. Microsoft does not support Team and VLAN configuration on Windows 10. Team and VLAN configuration for Intel Ethernet Adapters on Windows 10 is supported via our Intel® PROSet software. Intel® PROSet is not included in the Microsoft Windows Update.

We look forward to your feedback. Should we not hear from you, we will check back with you after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

TDres
Novice

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I used the Intel Proset drivers version 25.0, I attempted to make a team using the powershell commands as done with the latest versions. The team is created but shows disabled. Nothing I could do could get the team to become enabled. This issue seems to be very similar to what was seen with Windows 10 1809 at the time, then Intel came out with version 23.5 drivers to fix it. Same with Windows 10 1903, you needed minimum version 24.1 drivers to create a successful team. If Intel is working on it for Windows 10 20H1 release, then that is what I was checking on.

Thanks.

AlfredoS_Intel

Hi TDres,

You are most welcome.

Thank you for sharing your observations. We will forward it to our team. Please let us know if you have any further questions regarding your concern.

Should we not get your response after three business days, we will presume that we have addressed your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi TDres,

I am just sending another follow up to confirm if you still have any additional questions or clarifications.

Since we have not heard back from you, we will be closing this inquiry now. 

If you need further assistance, please post a new question. 

Best regards,

Alfred S.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

Hi Alfred, now that Windows 2004 is out, the official version, teams is still broken, the version 25.0 intel driver is still latest and does not work, will Intel have a new version out soon?

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi TDres,

Our team would like to thank you for letting us know of the issue that you discovered with the new release of Windows 10. We have forwarded this information to our development team.

So, we can properly categorize to which this issue is attached to, may we know the specific ethernet product and model where you found this issue?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TDres
Novice

This was on a Dell XE3 with dual NIC cards, one is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-LM and the other is Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I210-T1. I tried using the powershell command "New-IntelNetTeam" with v25.0 of the Intel Proset drivers, providing the mentioned NIC card info. The team shows it was created but then show that it is disabled. I can't seem to enable it.

AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Tdres,

We appreciate the time that you took out of your busy schedule to share that information.

We will provide the configuration to our development team.

Since we have already captured all the information, we will be closing this thread. If you want to keep it open, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
M_Swift
Beginner

Here we are three months later, and I have found this thread because Windows 10 Pro v2004 x64 is officially released. I have just now updated my first machine to it, and the update broke teaming just in the way the OP described. Intel drivers 25.0, the PROSet Adapter Configuration Utility can create a team very efficiently with its nice GUI, but the created adapter is "disabled" and cannot be enabled. Team members in my case were both ports of an Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I350-T2.

0 Kudos
MSchn22
Beginner

Here the same. Updated to 2004, reboot, no networks, no IPv4, no IPv6, no teaming. Typed in IPv4 and IPv6 addresses on one NIC, now working again with this. Enabled to other and tried teaming, no support in 25.0. Most probably after next reboot it will be necessary to disable the second NIC because MS networking gets confused. It therefore is the same as always: MS releases a new version, it breaks networking, we have to completely reinstall both versions and finally wait for Intel because they are never ready for new MS updates with their ProSet drivers.

0 Kudos