Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

Why H10-Module with 1TB don't work on Asus WS X299 Sage?

FBo
Beginner

Hi community,

I tried to use an H10-module on a Asus WS X299 Sage. Although I set up the BIOS accordingly (Intel RST, UEFI-mode), the board don't recognizes the H10 correctly.

If I use the H10 in M.2_2-slot, the BIOS find the 1TB-volume. If there is an bootable partition, Windows starts normally. But the "Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management"-Tool only shows an available SATA-raid. In Optane-section is only a message displayed: "There are no valid disc pairs in your system."

On the other hand, if I try to use the H10-module in M.2_1-slot the BIOS don't find the 1TB-volume and don't start Windows. Now I setup an additional M.2-module in the M.2_2-slot with a bootable partion. Interestingly now I can find a 27,3GB-volume in the disk management. Is this the Optane-memory?

But what goes wrong? Is the board really Optane-ready? The BIOS-version is 2002 the newest on Asus-website. It seems as if the board detect the both memory areas of the H10-module not at the same time (or in same setup) and so there is of course no "valid disc pair". Or is this board only capable to use M10?

Has anybody ideas or advices or similar experiences?

Kind regards, FBo

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Try to update Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller first:
  2. Open the Device Manager, Storage Controllers section.
  3. Right click on Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller and then click on Update.
  4. Click on "Let me pick from a list of available drivers from my computer"
  5. Put cursor on Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller and click Next to update the driver.
  6. Now open Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management and try to enable Optane.

Leon

0 Kudos
FBo
Beginner

Hi Leon,

I do so and the driver will be updated. The computer needs to be rebooted but the behavior is the same.

Frank

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, @FBo​ .

Good day,

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if the issue persists even after your last message a few days ago.

I tried to check the motherboard page for more information or a possible confirmation regarding Intel Optane Memory H10, it confirms the board supports Optane, but does not confirm if this applies to the H10 version as well.

If the issue persists, please uninstall the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management, Intel Rapid Storage Technology and try the following:

1. Install the latest Intel RST from the motherboard manufacturer's website:

2. Uninstall the Intel RST and Install the Intel Optane Memory Interface:

3. Confirm with the OEM if this motherboard provides Intel Optane Memory H10.

• Depending on how you want to proceed, this could be considered the very first step you should take.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, FBo.

I wanted to follow up on your thread to check if you tried the recommendations I previously mentioned or something different.

If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, FBo.

This message is to follow up on your thread regarding Intel® Optane™ Memory H10.

I previously shared a couple of options to try to enable it, along with a recommendation also check with the motherboard manufacturer regarding compatibility and possible configuration.

I will proceed to close the thread now, if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
FBo
Beginner

Hello Bruce, 

sorry for my delay. In the meantime I get in contact with Asus support. They said, its to clarify whether Asus WS X299 Sage is able to support the Intel Optane Memory H10-Modul. A correspondingly inquiry is going to Asia but I must have much more patience as usually.

So I tried to use a M10-Modul with 32GB. But the behavior is the same. (bootable SSD in M.2_2-slot and M10-Modul in M.2_1-slot: I can see the 27,3GB-volume in disk management and in RST-tool too.)

Now regarding the RST-version:

As I take the board in operation at first I configure an SATA-raid in BIOS (only for data). To see the state of this and initializing the raid, I download the RST from the Intel website. There was a warning concerning future versions, that they will comming from Microsoft app store. So I uninstall it an install the current version from app store. This is v17.8.1007.0 with driver v17.8.0.1065, the same as the first one from Intel website. In this way the second advice is tested already.

On Asus website I can download a driver version v17.5.0.1017 which will be clearly older (Oct 19) and comes with the old fashioned UI style. If I install it, the result is the same: no Optane fuctionality. But the message will be a little bit different: "Your system seems to be ready for Optane, but there was no memory modules identified. Please install a compatible modul. For further information check website intel.com/support/optane-memory." Nevertheless the volume of the M10-module is listet (27GB). 

But in all szenarios I tried the system volume is not listed in the RST tool. That is independently of the RST tool (driver) version and also of the used system volume (Intel H10-modul with 1TB, Samsung 970 evo plus) and the used M.2-slot.

Best regards, Frank

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

What was the P/N of the bootable SSD in M.2_2-slot you have used while testing with M10-Module in M.2_1-slot?

Leon

0 Kudos
FBo
Beginner

Hi Leon,

P/N = MZVLB1T0HBLR

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

-Frank

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. According to the P/N in your post you have Samsung PM981 SSD rather than Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD. However it doesn't make any difference in this case since both drives are NVMe type SSD.
  2. The drive to be accelerated can be a SATA SSD/HDD/SSHD. The Samsung NVMe drive can't be accelerated. A PCIe NVMe Intel SSD 6 Series with Intel QLC 3D NAND drive is supported for acceleration with Intel RST driver/SW version 17.5.2.1024. No other PCIe NVMe drives are supported for acceleration.
  3. About the installation procedure, please read the Intel Optane Memory M and H Series Installation Guide. Pay attention in para. 3.1 how to update Windows RST Driver, before enabling Optane Acceleration, using Intel Optane Memory and Storage management Application.

Leon

0 Kudos
FBo
Beginner

Hi Leon,

sorry for delay, I have many demands on my time. Concerning your remarks I should like to answer:

1. I pick the P/N directly from the devices (more than one for tests purchased from different sources). The labels on modules and packages and entries in data storage device indication are unambiguous "970 evo plus" but perhaps you mean the model-code on packaging "MZ-V7S1T0BW". 

2. Independently from point 1 you are right of course it's not possible to accelerate an separate NVMe drive with M10-module. For this test I have an additional SATA drive in the system. But please refer to the beginning of this thread. In all the time it was not possible to activate any kind of Optane acceleration. Initially I want to use an H10-module. Until now I don't have answer from ASUS whether the WS X299 Sage is ready to work with H10. (please refer to my answer to Bruce)

3. I know the documentation you linked and I readed it carefully. In 1.2.1.2. is a link to an compatibility list for Optane supporting hardware. There is X299 chipset listed but not the used processor (i9-9900X). The i9-9900X supported Optane according to Intel website but with a bottom note: " This feature may not be available on all computing systems. Please check with the system vendor ..." I do so, but no answer until now.

But in chapter 1.2.1.2. is another hint: "Until acceleration is enabled (as defined in section 3) the operating system will shown both portions of the device as individual storage devices." As explained in my first post the system indicates only one at a time dependently the M.2-slot I used for the H10-module (already to see in BIOS and afterwards in system). The core of my question is in the end: Is this an evidence that this hardware combination is not able to use Optane or at least H10? 

Nevertheless I comply with instructions in chapter 3.1, but if the system is not able to detect all needed components the driver installation is not vital to success. 

Concluding I come to a induvidually result for myself: Optane is an intersting technology but depending on a lot of preconditions in hardware setup. Further specifics are to observe relating backup and recovery. Supposable the effect of optane acceleration in combination with NVMe (H10) is tiny in comparisation with the difference between SATA-SSD and NVMe. At this time its an option "nice to have". Completely different the matters stands if it comes to acceleration SATA-HDD's with M10. The most intesting option would be for me the acceleration of raid volumes - but we know: that is not provided.

I think its time to close this thread, but I will post the answer from Asus regarding the compatibility.

Best regards, Frank

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello Frank,

1. As I wrote already it is not important if the SSD is Samsung 970 EVO or PM981. FYI I came to this conclusion checking the P/N MZVLB1T0HBLR.
  2. It is interesting to see the Asus answer.
  3. I agree with your conclusion about Optane Technology - mainly because of the potential backup/restore problem in case that the Optane part fails. I prefer fast NVMe drive for O.S. and programs and HDD for data storage, where speed is not very important for me.

Leon

0 Kudos