Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Hello! I am wondering if there is any way to utilize the 2.5 V LVDS differential IO using the DE1-SoC or DE10-Nano boards through the GPIO headers.

ESaiv
New Contributor I

It appears from the "I/O Standards Specifications" section of the Cyclone V Device Datasheet that VCCIO for accepting LVDS data is at (or pretty close to) 2.5 V only, and unfortunately I can't see a way to change this by looking through the schematics and user manuals for either of these boards.

Is the best option to put the Cyclone V on its own breakout board if I want to send LVDS data in?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Elliot,

Can you please check if any of the pin is connected to the GPIO or HSMC on the board? If it so, that particular pin can be changed to LVDS using Quartus and thus you may use it.

Of course, it would be better to build it on a custom board for desired design.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
ESaiv
New Contributor I

Hi! Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting that if I had HSMC on the board that I would be able to run LVDS into it? This makes good sense to me, though unfortunately I do not think I have that interface on the DE1 or DE-10, and only have GPIO, and these GPIO are of the wrong IO voltage standard (3.3 V, where I indeed need 2.5 V for LVDS for the Cyclone bank voltage). I agree that a custom board might be the best approach in this case. Thanks for your input.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

If it is using 3.3V, then it cannot be used already. It would be better to go for custom board in this case.

0 Kudos