Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel AX200NGW (non-vPro) - tons of error events and intermittent adapter flapping

ZSter1
Beginner

Hello!

I decided to update my laptop's otherwise perfectly working WiFi 7650 with something more modern.

I decided to choose the AX200 non-vPro as my laptop is AMD-based.

Then all hell broke loose! I sourced my first one from Amazon itself. After an otherwise perfectly executed installation and Intel driver purging, I rebooted the PC and installed the 21.60 drivers.

Tons of the following popped in my Win 10 Event Viewer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------   

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.   

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.   

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has encountered an internal error and has failed.   

5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)   

Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz : Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly.   

5007 - TX/CMD timeout (TfdQueue hanged)   

Apart from these my WiFi connection was flapping like crazy.

So, I thought I got a DoA from Amazon. They were kind enough to swap it with another module (which by the way has totally different markings on the back). I thought - that was it, all should just work now. Boy, was I wrong...

After the replacement WiFi card received, I uninstalled the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers and shut down my PC. Swapped the new WiFi card, triple-checked there are no shorts or anything else wrong with the antennae or something. All was OK.

Then, the exact same errors popped up after I installed the 21.70. this time.

I then purchased another AX200, this time from an European retailer. It also came in factory-sealed anti-static wrap and brown box.

Same re-installation procedure, same errors! I mean, WTF?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Well, you cannot simply decide to use a different wifi card without consulting with the laptop manufacturer.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking.html

Doc

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ZSter1,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

Performing wireless integrations is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Before installing or changing the Intel® Wireless Adapter, you must contact the system manufacturer to obtain approval, step-by-step instructions, and support. It is worth mentioning that the integration may or may not work due to the following reasons:

1. Hardware/software compatibility issues or dependencies.

2. Manufacturer limitations.

3. Driver limitations.

In this scenario, we recommend that you perform the following steps:

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific driver for your system.

• Windows® 10 Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters Version: 21.70.0
  • Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 Version: 21.70.0

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

• Go to Device Manager.
  • Expand the Network Adapters category.
  • Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.
  • Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  • Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ZSter1,

We hope you found the information provided helpful.

If the steps recommended do not resolve the problem reported on the thread, we suggest that you contact your Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for further support.

This seems to be a hardware problem caused by the wireless upgrade/integration.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ZSter1
Beginner

Hello!

Although I generally agree with @Al.Hill​  on his though, let me assure you I've dug quite a lot before I decided to take the leap of faith.

In theory, this card is provided by HP as a customization option for my model, only in a different tier. Naturally, I browsed HP Parts Surfer and picked the SPS that was listed against my laptop model.

As we all saw, it didn't quite unfold as I initially expected.

As I've also tried what was suggested by @WannerG_Intel​  in his first post without achieving anything, I guess I'll just pour myself a cold one and call it a day. Nowhere else to go as HP are just offering warranty on the original configurations they sell, and don't even want to hear I used a part that was supposed to be swappable in a first place.

Lessons learned! Big corps. only care for you until they get your money. After that it's all 'Eh, sorry, that's the procedure. Can't do anything.' 👌

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Intel did not make your laptop. HP is the designer, builder, and integrator of your laptop. They can make customizations as they want. When you purchase their laptop, included in that price is support that you paid for.

Make them earn the money you gave them, and make them support you. Or, next time, do not purchase from HP.

Doc

0 Kudos