Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

After the most recent Windows 10 update I can no longer play videos. Appears the 3000 display adapter driver is discontinued. What can I replace it with?

JMill108
Beginner

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

HD3000 graphics were never supported on Windows 10.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005526/graphics-drivers.html

What you have been using is the Microsoft generic driver which is limited in features and performance.

If you have a laptop, there is nothing you can do.

If you have a desktop, you may be able to find a compatible nvidia or amd add-on graphics card. The key word here is compatible.

However, the real answer is to upgrade to new(er) hardware that is supported by Windows 10.

Windows 10, and the generic graphics driver, belong to Microsoft.

Doc

0 Kudos
JMill108
Beginner

Thank you so much for such a quick answer! I have come to that conclusion the last 20 minutes of exploring online! By new hardware you mean a new computer, right? I've been considering that, I have a refurbished Dell.

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Yep, new or newer computer. Personally, I would consider something with a 6th gen or later processor. Right now, you have a 2nd gen processor.

Doc

0 Kudos