Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7352 Discussions

Intel Wifi 6 AX200 wifi will randomly disconnect for 30 seconds to a minute

DevinW88
Novice

Built a new PC with a MSI Unify X570 motherboard with embedded Intel Wifi 6 AX200 adapter and it will randomly disconnect every 20-40 minutes for about 30 seconds to a minute.

I have been troubleshooting this issue since I have built the PC but can't seem to get it resolved. Here are some of the things I have done:

Installed the drivers from MSI version 21.60.1.0 and it has the same issue as the current Intel drivers.

Power saving mode is disabled on the wireless adapter.

Delivery optimization is disabled in Windows 10.

I have followed the Intel instructions to flush DNS reset IP configuration etc from the article.

When I use an alternate USB wireless adapter I do not have the issues. I used a Netgear WNDA3100 consistently for over a month without issues, which I believe narrows it down to the Intel adapter.

If I change the advanced settings to only run the N band in the adapter it helps, but still disconnects.

Trying to figure out any additional troubleshooting I haven't tried to fix the problem. Overall the adapter works great until it disconnects.

14 Replies
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Thank you for submitting your question on this Intel® Community.

Because you have already tried different steps to address this issue, we would like to know if you have experienced this issue since day 1.

• Do you remember if this issue started happening after an OS or driver update?
  • What is the latest generic driver version you have installed on the computer?

• Also, please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread. This will allow us to review your system configuration.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DevinW88
Novice

Thanks for the reply!

The issue didn't start after any driver or OS update. It has been persistent since the PC was built.

I'm not sure what you mean for generic driver version? The wifi adapter shows version 21.70.0.6 installed

I have attached the SSU file as requested.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Thank you for your response.

Intel provides generic versions of software and drivers. Then, your computer manufacturer may alter the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes. Generic drives can be found at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/.

We recommend that you perform a Clean Installation of Wireless Drivers. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers first.

Step 1: Get the latest system-specific drivers from your computer manufacturer support. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

Drivers for MEG X570 UNIFY

Step 2: Uninstall your Wi-Fi driver.

Windows* may have an inbox Wi-Fi driver for your wireless adapter. You can't uninstall an inbox driver (you won't see the "Delete the driver software for this device" option). Proceed to the next step if you start seeing the same version of the driver installed automatically after it’s uninstalled.

1. Go to Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Network Adapters category.
  3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter/Bluetooth and choose to uninstall it.
  4. Make sure to select the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  5. Restart your computer.

Step 3: Driver installation.

Locate the driver you downloaded back in Step 1. Run as administrator, and follow the wizard to completion.

If the problem persists, try to use these generic drivers:

We also recommend that you try using the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac Connectivity

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DevinW88
Novice

Thank you for the steps to try, it took me a while as I have been busy with work.

I did use the drivers directly from the MSI website, and made sure that I used the Recommended Settings for 802.11ac connectivity and after testing the issue persisted.

I then did as you requested and tried the Intel generic drivers 21.70.0 and am still having the same problem.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Please allow us to look into this issue.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

We would like to provide an update.

• Does the router/AP support 802.11ax?

If not, make sure the wireless router and your client are using the same Wi-Fi standard and configuration (e.g. 802.11ac).

• If possible, go into the router/AP settings and try to disable 802.11r fast transition parameters.

• Are you able to try another 802.11ax router/AP or network?
  • Make sure antennas are properly connected.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided?

If you need further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DevinW88
Novice

Thanks for the support Wanner, I am not sure what the router supports completely. It is a Comcast Business router, on the front it shows it supports up to 802.11ac so I don't know that it supports 802.11ax. It is a Technicolor router, but I didn't see a model number. We are also using an Arris modem model TM804.

I have verified the antennas are properly connected, unfortunately I am unable to try the wi-fi adapter with an alternate network.

I went through the router admin settings and didn't see anything for disabling 802.11r fast transition parameters. But looking further, I believe this router only supports ac and not ax.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

In this scenario, you can try to install a newer driver version 21.80.2.

If the issue persists, what we can recommend is that you contact your computer manufacturer to check the health of the system since this seems to be an out-of-box issue.

Also, you can try to contact your router/AP vendor to obtain step-by-step instructions to optimize your devices and settings in case they do not support 802.11ax.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Were you able to install the driver version 21.80.2?

Does the issue persists?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
DevinW88
Novice

I did try the newest driver Wanner, unfortunately the issue has seemed to persist still. I think I am just going to have to use a third party wireless adapter, as I can't seem to get the on board one to be stable.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello DevinW88,

Before trying an adapter, you can contact your router vendor. They may also have a firmware update that can help you fix this issue.

Now, since this issue happens since day one, this could also be a hardware issue.

Thank you for the update.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Spirited
Beginner

Hi Wanner,

I'm also experiencing problems with a similar motherboard (the MSI Carbon X570) and the same adapter. The behavior is exactly as noted: every 30 minutes to an hour, my connection drops and no networks show up in the Windows 10 available networks menu for about 30 seconds to a minute. I have an additional observation, though. If I use a 2.4GHz network, I don't see any problems. It's only when I use a 5GHz network that it frequently drops. Doesn't happen with any of my other devices on the 5GHz network.

I looked across the internet, and it appears that a lot AX200 card owners across multiple manufacturers are having these problems:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ASRock/comments/gi5wc2/intel_ax200_wifi_6_keeps_disconnecting_on_asrock/
https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-Wifi-6-AX200-wifi-can-not-keep-the-connection-Asus-ROG/m-p/657175
https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/hqzq60/intel_wifi6_ax200_goes_into_disconnection_spates/

Just for completeness, I have an 802.11AC router (the Arris SURFboard SBG7600AC2). The firmware is locked down by Cox Communications to version 9.1.103AA72 with no way to update it. Tried drivers supplied by MSI and the latest from Intel. I'm on BIOS version 7B93v1C and Intel driver version 22.40.0.7. Nothing appears to fix it. Could it be power delivery issues?

Thanks,
Spirited

0 Kudos