Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel Graphics Driver Causing Display Issues

MVoge5
Beginner

So, recently I upgraded my monitor setup for my computer: 5 monitors, 4 running off of my dedicated graphics card and 1 running from my motherboard on the Intel iGPU. In order to do this, of course, I had to install the Intel graphic driver (Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 as it's called in Driver Manager).

Since then, there's been an extremely annoying occurrence. Whenever I do anything CPU intensive (e.g. launching a game) all of my displays lag to about 1 FPS. If I'm watching a video it'll lag and stop processing, the mouse hardly updates, clicks register after a few seconds etc. After about 5-10 seconds this goes away and everything returns to normal.

I've been searching to a solution online and stumbled across someone saying that their similarish situation was caused by an audio driver. I realized that it could be a driver issue and proceeded to Device Manager where I checked the audio drivers (was not the same as the person had). I then disabled the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 Display Adapter.

Immediately, my screens flashed (not using the 5th display at the moment), then went back to normal and everything noticeably sped up. I launched a game to try it out and not only did it not lag, but the game launched significantly faster than it was before.

Basically, my question is: how do I fix this problem and get my 5th display back without killing my performance? Is this just a driver issue and I need to wait for a new one and hope it gets fixed?

Hardware:

• CPU: Intel Core i7 8700K (Overclocked to 4.6 GHz roughly)
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
  • RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill 3200MHz
  • MB: Asus ROG Maximus Hero X
  • SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 1TB

Displays:

1. Alienware 1080p 240Hz over DP (dedicated GPU)
  2. Alienware 1080p 240Hz over DP (dedicated GPU)
  3. Alienware 1080p 240Hz over DP in portrait orientation (dedicated GPU)
  4. Vizio 4k TV scaled to 1080p 120Hz over HDMI (dedicated GPU)
  5. TCL 4k TV scaled to 1080p 60Hz over HDMI (iGPU) - turned off

Drivers:

• NVIDIA Graphics Driver - 26.21.14.4587 (Device Manager) or 445.87 (GeForce Experience)
  • Intel Graphics Driver - 27.20.100.8190 (Device Manager and Intel Graphics Command Center)
  • Intel CPU Driver - 10.0.18362.693

I appreciate any insight you may have

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello MVoge5,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

We would like to thank you for all the information provided and the troubleshooting steps performed.

To better assist you I would like to gather some additional information from you:

• What software are you using to monitor the system?
  • Does this behavior occur with any workload in specific? 
  • When did this behavior start? Was the previous configuration working fine?

I would appreciate it if you could run the following tool and attach the reports generated. 

Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)  

Intel® SSU Download link  

1. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. 

By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  

1. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  2. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Esteban D.  

Intel Technical Support Technician   

0 Kudos
MVoge5
Beginner

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

• Mainly the software I've been using is Task Manager and CPUID HWMonitor. Something to note is that the CPU does ramp up to around 100% on all cores briefly whenever this happens. However, that doesn't change when the driver is disabled while the display performance does have the improvement I originally mentioned.
  • This happens consistently, specifically, when launching a debug session within IntelliJ which starts up and internal Minecraft server for testing. It also happens less consistently, when startup up a regular Minecraft game and notably while Far Cry New Dawn or Anno 1800 are running and I click to, for example, watch a video outside of the game itself; it also occurs when these games are starting up.
  • This behavior started when I added the 3 new monitors (each of the 240Hz displays). This did not occur with my previous setup which was just the two TVs and without the Intel graphics driver.

I have also attached the scan.txt file from SSU.

Thanks again for the reply

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello MVoge5,

Thank you so much for the information provided.

We will review this report to update this thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello MVoge5,

Thank you for your patience.

I would like to make an update on this thread. After checking the report, we can determine that in terms of driver/software your unit is up to date.

Based on the behavior of the system once the 5th monitor is connected this could be related to the hybrid graphics.

The behavior of that feature may vary depending on the configuration provided by the motherboard manufacturer, how it was designed, and even the operating system.

You may want to provide a picture of the task manager with no monitors working with the iGPU and check the workload for the processor, dedicated GPU, and integrated graphics and compare the workload when the 5th monitor is connected.

Please check the following article with some information that may be helpful.

Esteban D.  

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?  

Let me know if you need more assistance.  

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.  

Esteban D. 

0 Kudos