Embedded Connectivity
Intel network controllers, Firmware, and drivers support systems
852 Discussions

i225 - IGC linux kernel Driver - Force Speed and duplex not supported

Didier_G
Beginner

Hi,

i use intel i225 chip:

Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V (rev 03)

I am trying to force speed and duplex with this command :

ethtool -s eth2 speed 100 duplex full autoneg off

The linux kernel driver  said :

igc 0000:03:00.0 eth2: Force mode currently not supported

and my link is always 100Half.

will the forced mode be supported in futures kernnel drivers version ?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Sazirah
Employee

Hi Didier_G,

Thank you for contacting Intel Community Support.

Regarding your enquiries about your Intel Ethernet Controller I225-V, could you please share with us the SSU logs for us to analyze further. 

Please refer below on how to get the SSU logs in Linux:

Help Guide for the Intel® System Support Utility

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000008563/ethernet-products.html

Let us know the outcome.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Hi

i send you the result of ssu.sh command and ethtool and dmesg

0 Kudos
Dineshbabu
Employee

Hi Didier_G,

Please allow us some time to review result of ssu.sh command and ethtool and dmesg and we will get back to you with an update shortly.

Regards,

Dinesh

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi Didier_G,

While we are checking further on your provided information, kindly go thru below link for more details regarding the issue and check if it helps:

https://docs.kernel.org/networking/device_drivers/ethernet/intel/e1000.html

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Hi Hayat,

i think this link is not for the igc kernel module.

There is only one parametre for this kernel driver: debug level.

MODULE_AUTHOR("Intel Corporation, <linux.nics@intel.com>");
MODULE_DESCRIPTION(DRV_SUMMARY);
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL v2");
module_param(debug, int, 0);
MODULE_PARM_DESC(debug, "Debug level (0=none,...,16=all)");

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi Didier_G,

We are currently checking further on this and will get back to you. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
Sazirah
Employee

Hi DidietG,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities.

Regarding your issue, since we may have a limited support on this issue, we will move this thread to our Intel Embedded Communities for the team to assist you. They will connect with you shortly.

Regards,

Sazzy_Intel

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner
0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

We have received your questions, but we want to address the following questions:

What is the Operating System (OS) related to the reported situation?

We noticed in the localhost.localdomain.txt attached to this forum that the affected design is related to the Intel(R) Celeron(R) J6412 processor, could you please confirm that it is correct?

Could you please clarify if this request is related to a design developed by you, or if it is developed by a third-party company?

Could you please let us know the name of the manufacturer, the part number, and where we can find the information if this request is related to a third-party design?

We are waiting for your reply.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Hello,

The os is redhat 9 latest version.

The processor is correct,

it's a minipc designed by yanling manufacturer : https://www.ylipc.com/product/12th_gen-j6412-mini-firewall-pc_4_lan

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thanks for your clarification.

You should address your consultation of the products manufactured by the third-party company listed in your previous communication should be addressed as a reference by filling out the form stated on the following website:

https://www.ylipc.com/contact_us_1

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Hello Carlos,

i have already ask to the manufacturer, but i think they do not code the missing part in the igc_ethtool.c file of the linux driver at line 1907 of the "static int function igc_ethtool_set_link_ksettings   : netdev_info(dev, "Force mode currently not supported\n");

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thanks for your reply.

We suggest addressing your consultation to any of the channels listed as a reference in the following website related to the OS that you are using:

https://access.redhat.com/support

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Carlos,

the driver is developped by Intel, i don't think redhat will  able do add this  missing piece of code.

On the igc_ethtool.c

// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0

/* Copyright (c) 2018 Intel Corporation */

not Redhat !!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thanks for your reply.

Based on your previous communications, we need to address the following question:

Where do you download the driver mentioned in your previous communication?

We are waiting for your clarification.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

Carlos,

i use the default linux kernel included in the vanilla kernel (www.kernel.org)

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thanks for your clarification.

You are obtaining the driver from a source different than Intel, as you may notice in your previous reply. Due to this, it is unsure that it has been developed totally by Intel.

In case you are obtaining the driver from Intel,  this driver is generic, and it is not guaranteed to work properly with a third-party design. The proper drivers should be provided by the manufacturer of their devices. 

By the way, you are using a device with an Intel(R) Celeron(R) J6412 processor, which is an Elkhart Lake (EHL) processor, as you may confirm on the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/214758/intel-celeron-processor-j6412-1-5m-cache-up-to-2-60-ghz/specifications.html 

Due to this, your problem is related to an EHL platform. Reviewing the Operating Systems supported by the EHL platform and their support, most of the Linux related are provided support by the Operating System developer, as you may notice in the last column of the table stated in the Software Overview section of the following website:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/processors/embedded/enhanced-for-iot-platform-brief.html

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos
Didier_G
Beginner

If I understand correctly, everyone is passing the buck and I'm like an idiot with this **bleep** card!

0 Kudos
CarlosAM_INTEL

Hello, @Didier_G:

Thanks for your reply.

Please consider that the manufacturer of the board is the proper way to help you, as we stated in one of our previous communications.

Best regards,

@CarlosAM_INTEL.

0 Kudos