Embedded Server
Consolidate Considerations of Intel® Xeon and Atom server Hardware, Firmware, Software, and Tools
262 Discussions

VROC support on Intel® Xeon® W 11865 MRE processor

husainak
Novice

Hello,

I am planning to develop a motherboard with  Intel® Xeon® W 11865 MRE processor and RM590E chipset. 

I want to know where VROC is supported on this processor. The application is a 16-channel NVME storage. solution

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Diego_INTEL

Hello @husainak,

Thank you for contacting Intel Embedded Community.

Yes, VROC is supported for the Intel® Xeon® W-11865MRE, this is an Intel® Xeon® W processor.

You can check this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/virtual-raid-on-cpu-vroc.html

Supported Processors

• Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (Generation 1, 2, 3, and 4)
  • Intel® Xeon® W processors
  • Intel® Xeon® D processors
  • Intel® Xeon® E (No Intel® VMD. Limited functionality supported)

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
pratheeksk
Beginner

Hello @Diego_INTEL ,

pratheeksk_0-1699334426697.png

In the "Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Supported Configurations " it says the chipset is C400, whether RM590E with VROC using RAID5 can be achieved using the Premium key

Can you confirm whether the following solution works? need help with VROC Key pins on the processor

1 (2).jpeg

Regards

Pratheek

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @pratheeksk,

I found internally a diagram that was accepted that looks the same as you have shared, with 1 PCIe x16 and another one of x4, this diagram looks to be good too.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
Chandraman
Beginner

Hello @Diego_INTEL ,

Could you kindly furnish a document that confirms the compatibility of Xeon® W-11865MRE with VROC?

I would like to know how to access the RAID KEY through the Series 500 chipset and which GPIO can be utilized for reading the VROC key.

Regards,

Suresh

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Chandraman,

Being an Intel® Xeon® W processor, it is supported according to this link.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/virtual-raid-on-cpu-vroc.html

I'm sharing this article, it may help with the questions you may have.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000024550/memory-and-storage/datacenter-storage-solutions.html

Also, you may check the document #787385 - Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) 8.2 Production Version (PV) Self-Encrypting Drive (SED).

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

Chandraman
Beginner

Dear @Diego_INTEL,

Thanks for the response.

I've reviewed the "Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) and Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD) Supported Configurations" Revision 3.1 guide.

In Table 3, the "Intel® Platform Support Matrix" doesn't include the Xeon W-11865MRE, which is a VMD 2.0 supported device. Additionally, the Xeon W-11865MRE utilizes the series 500 chipset, which is not mentioned in the matrix.

Could you please provide information on the 500 (RM590E) chipset support for VROC? Specifically, I'm interested in the GPIO that supports reading from the VROC key.

I am seeking a document that explicitly mentions Intel® Virtual RAID on Processor (Intel® VROC) (VMD NVMe RAID) compatibility on TGL-H based Xeon-W 11865MRE and RM590E chipset.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regards,

Suresh

0 Kudos
Diego_INTEL

Hello @Chandraman,

You can check the document #643013 - 11th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor-H and Intel® 500 Series Chipset Family Platform Controller Hub for IoT Platforms, here you can find more details of the RM590E and Tiger Lake H.

Best regards,

@Diego_INTEL 

0 Kudos
Chandraman
Beginner

Hi @Diego_INTEL,

I have carefully reviewed document #643013 and additional documents, namely #615985 PCH EDS and #575683 CPU EDS, in relation to our ongoing project.

Our specific requirement revolves around ascertaining whether the Xeon-W 11865MRE with the RM590E chipset, supports VROC (Virtual RAID on CPU) for virtual NVME RAID configuration on CPU PCIe lanes.

To proceed with our design, we are seeking documentation that explicitly states whether the Tiger Lake H-based Xeon-W 11865MRE supports VROC. If such a document exists, could you kindly provide the document number?

If the Xeon-W 11865MRE indeed supports VROC, we need information on the mechanism by which the RM590E chipset can read the VROC premium key. Specifically, we request details on the GPIO pin designated for reading the key.

I humbly request your assistance in providing the necessary documentation to facilitate the progression of our design. Your prompt response to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Suresh

0 Kudos