Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4888 Discussions

Expired Driver Signing Certificate

likjdfgjkdf
Beginner

Intel Community post for reference:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Intel-r-Ethernet-controller-3-I225-V-and-ethernet-not-working/td-p/1568896

This driver pack has an expired signing certificate:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/184676/intel-ethernet-controller-i225v/downloads.html

Image 320.pngImage 321.png

Windows will not allow these drivers to install because of the expired certificate.  The signing certificate needs to be regenerated and the driver pack re-released.

I'd be interested to know why Intel generates signing certs with a 1-year validity period when the parent certificates in the chain are good for 10 years.  You folks do realize that your drivers will be out in the wild for well over a year after they're released, yes?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hayat
Employee

Hi likjdfgjkdf,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

We are currently checking on this issue and will provide you with more updates as soon as possible once we know more.

Meanwhile waiting, please try the temporary workaround - by disabling secure boot and disabling device driver signing. 

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat 

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
likjdfgjkdf
Beginner

Thanks for acknowledging.  Unfortunately, disabling the bulk of my platform security is not an acceptable workaround for me, and it's certainly not one that I'll be recommending.

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

I also encountered the same problem with I226-T1.
Driver version 28.2.1 dated 8/25/2023 has a valid signature instead of the latest version 29.0 driver. I am using this one.

The period in the image is probably the period in which you can attach the certificate. I don't think the attached certificate is valid. Since his 28.2.1 signature for the same certificate is valid. The problem is not the Intel certificate, but the Microsoft certificate. However, Intel is the one who included the expired certificate. Below are the properties of "PRO2500\Winx64\WS2022\e2f.sys" in 29.0.

e2f.sys_29.0_1.jpge2f.sys_29.0_2.jpge2f.sys_29.0_3.jpg

[Original Japanese text before Google translation]

自分も I226-T1 で同じ問題に遭遇しました。
最新のバージョン 29.0 のドライバーではなく、8/25/2023 の日付のバージョン 28.2.1 のドライバーは署名が有効です。自分はこちらを使っています。

画像の期間は、証明書を添付できる期間でしょう。添付した証明書の有効期間では無いと思います。同じ証明書の 28.2.1 が署名が有効なので。問題はインテルの証明書ではなく、Microsoft の証明書です。ただし、期限切れの証明書を組み込んだのは、インテルでしょう。下記は 29.0 の "PRO2500\Winx64\WS2022\e2f.sys" のプロパティです。

0 Kudos
Hayat
Employee

Hi likjdfgjkdf,

A new version of the driver 29.01 has already been uploaded. Please try to check if its working now.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/15084/intel-ethernet-adapter-complete-driver-pack.html

Please let us know on the update or if you have any questions.

Regards,

Hayat

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Ruda
Beginner

Hello.
Tried it on my I226-T1 system. I tried it after a new clean install of Windows Server 2022 Standard.

The results for 29.0.1 are as follows: Same as 29.0 and doesn't work.

Device Manager1.jpgDevice Manager2.jpg2f.sys_Properties0.jpg2f.sys_Properties1.jpg2f.sys_Properties2.jpg2f.sys_Properties3.jpg2f.sys_Properties4.jpg

The result of 28.2.1 is as follows. It works.

Device Manager1.jpgDevice Manager2.jpge2f.sys_Properties0.jpge2f.sys_Properties1.jpge2f.sys_Properties2.jpge2f.sys_Properties3.jpge2f.sys_Properties4.jpg

0 Kudos
RyanFeeko
Novice

Hey likjdfgjkdf,

Have you managed to try update the driver to the latest version?

It is resolve the issue?

Fly high with Community~

0 Kudos
Irwan_Intel

Hello Ruda,

Thank you for the update. We'll continue to investigate this issue further and will provide another update soon.

Regards,

Irwan_Intel

0 Kudos