Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4880 Discussions

Intel i810-XXV NIC - VMware 8 - SR-IOV & RoCE

Jimboblob
Beginner

VMware HCL lists:

• SR-IOV capability with icen driver
  • RoCEv2 capability with irdman driver

Where multiple NICs are installed in the same server, is it possible to use both drivers and therefore both functions?

0 Kudos
18 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Thank you for posting in Intel community Forum.

Base on your inquiry, we see that you are using Intel i810-XXV NIC with VMware 8.

Kindly let us know which server/system you are using. Also please let us know if you are using the same NIC's for both the functions.

If you have questions, please let us know. Thank you.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

Hi, thanks for the reply. Physical NICs can be dedicated to each function. 

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Greetings for the day!

I hope this message finds you well.

We are still waiting for your reply.

Kindly revert back to us with the details so that we can assist you further.

Thank you for using Intel products and services.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Greetings!

We have checked the compatibility details for E810-XXV NIC and although it supports SR-IOV and RoCEv2, SR-IOV is only supported upto VMware vSphere* 7.0.

You can check the icen supported vmware versions below : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005893/ethernet-products.html

Regarding SR-IOV, you can refer this link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005722/ethernet-products.html 

Please don’t hesitate to contact us for any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

That's odd since it is listed in the VMware HCL with SR-IOV support at 8.0u2?

Jimboblob_0-1712233553537.png

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Thank you for your reply!

Yes, as per vmware it does have icen for vmware 8.0 however for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter 800 series, the compatible OS for icen is only upto ESXi* 7.0.

You can find this information in the below article : 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005893/ethernet-products.html

You can also refer the vmware compatibilty guide here : https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=vsanio&productid=50086&vcl=true

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

I don't understand what's being said. The i810 is on the HCL for ESXi 8 and indeed is part of VSAN ReadyNodes.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Thank you for your reply!

To clarify what I meant by in the previous post, SR-IOV and RoCEv2 are supported for Intel E810-XXV NIC with icen and irdman. However, as per our article and the compatibility guide in vmware, it only shows compatibility until ESXi 7.0 U3.

I'm including the screenshot for reference.

May I know if you are able to see the compatibility of this particular NIC for vmware 8?

If you have questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

Thanks, the blue table screenshot posted above is from the VMware HCL.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

We are happy to help. We got the screenshot from the link : VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

The 8u2 HCL for Intel 810 adapter is here: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Thank you for sharing the link and thank you for your cooperation.

Sorry for the confusion. May I know the exact product you are using as the products mentioned in both the links are different.

Kindly provide the exact product so that I can get an accurate information on this.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

Thanks, the adapter is "Intel E810-XXV Dual Port 10/25GbE SFP28 Adapter, PCIe Full Height".

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Sorry for the delay.

Thank you for providing the product details.

Kindly let us know if the product (Intel E810-XXV Dual Port 10/25GbE SFP28 Adapter, PCIe Full Height) was a built in product with your system or was it an add on product?

As I see that since this particular product is offered by dell, kindly let us know if the product came along with a dell system?

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
Jimboblob
Beginner

correct

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Thank you for the confirmation.

As DEll are the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) of this product, I would kindly request you to reach out to them to check the compatibility details for this product.

Since they are the OEM, Their expertise and resources may be instrumental in checking this for you.

Regards,

Sachin KS  

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Greetings for the day!

We are following up to find out if you were able to find the information we provided. 

Kindly reply back to confirm and let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,

Sachin KS

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Jimboblob,

Greetings for the day!

We would like to inform you that we are closing this request as no response has been received from our previous follow-ups. 

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions in the future. Feel free to start a new conversation, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Sachin KS 

0 Kudos