Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4914 Discussions

Wake On Line for Windows11 ?

nsimon
Beginner

Hello,

I acquired a computer under windows 11 and I can't find a way to make the WOL works. I have a Intel Ethernet i219v.

I encountered this thread : https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethernet-Products/Windows-11-support-for-I-219V-no-PROset-or-wake-on-lan/m-p/1349608#M27964 confirming that it has not been developed at the time.

Is it done now ? How can I use Wake On Line with my Windows 11 computer ?

All the best

0 Kudos
1 Solution
B_Y
Employee

Hello Simon,

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

-Driver version

1. Right-click the Intel® Network Adapter.

2. Click Properties.

3. Select the Driver tab. The driver version for that adapter is listed.

-Windows version

1. Select Start > Settings > System > About . ...

2. Under Device specifications > System type, see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit and version of Windows.

-What state of system you wish to wake from (S3, S4, S5)?

S3: Hybrid sleep, used on desktops, is where a system uses a hibernation file with S1-S3. The hibernation file saves the system state in case the system loses power while in sleep.

Note: SoC systems that support Modern Standby don't use S1-S3.

S4: Fast startup is where the user is logged off before the hibernation file is created. This allows for a smaller hibernation file, more appropriate for systems with less storage capabilities.

S5: The system appears to be off. This state is comprised of a full shutdown and boot cycle.

-Geekom mini IT11 is it a modern standby system?

Also for I219, got issue with fast startup + WOL. So, you may need to disable fast startup and try again.

Steps:

Select Start > Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Option > select "Choose what the power buttons do"

At the bottom of the window is a Shutdown settings section. In this section, there is an option labeled Turn on fast startup. Turn off fast startup, deselect the box.

If the option is grayed out, scroll up and click Change settings that are currently unavailable. You may be prompted to confirm your choice by a User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window -> click Yes. You should now be able to adjust this setting.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to replay this thread.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
B_Y
Employee

Hello Simon,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. We have received your request under case #05805716.

May I know if you are using Geekom mini IT 11?

As mentioned from the other forum and there are some suggested steps, please give a try but disregard Option 5 & 6 which using Command. 

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/enable-or-disable-wake-on-lan-wol-in-windows-11.11872/

If you have questions or other clarifications please let us know so we can help you further.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
nsimon
Beginner

Hello,

Thank you for answering so quickly.

I am indeed using Geekom mini IT11.

I followed the several options explained in the article you shared but the "Wake on Magic Packet" property is missing from the property pane of the configuration window of my intel Ethernet i219v.

Sadly my understanding is that this is the masterpiece for activating Wake On Line (which is definitely enabled in BIOS).

Now what else can I do ?

Regards

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hello Simon,

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

-Driver version

1. Right-click the Intel® Network Adapter.

2. Click Properties.

3. Select the Driver tab. The driver version for that adapter is listed.

-Windows version

1. Select Start > Settings > System > About . ...

2. Under Device specifications > System type, see if you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit and version of Windows.

-What state of system you wish to wake from (S3, S4, S5)?

S3: Hybrid sleep, used on desktops, is where a system uses a hibernation file with S1-S3. The hibernation file saves the system state in case the system loses power while in sleep.

Note: SoC systems that support Modern Standby don't use S1-S3.

S4: Fast startup is where the user is logged off before the hibernation file is created. This allows for a smaller hibernation file, more appropriate for systems with less storage capabilities.

S5: The system appears to be off. This state is comprised of a full shutdown and boot cycle.

-Geekom mini IT11 is it a modern standby system?

Also for I219, got issue with fast startup + WOL. So, you may need to disable fast startup and try again.

Steps:

Select Start > Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Option > select "Choose what the power buttons do"

At the bottom of the window is a Shutdown settings section. In this section, there is an option labeled Turn on fast startup. Turn off fast startup, deselect the box.

If the option is grayed out, scroll up and click Change settings that are currently unavailable. You may be prompted to confirm your choice by a User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window -> click Yes. You should now be able to adjust this setting.

Should you need any further information, please do not hesitate to replay this thread.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
nsimon
Beginner

Hi,

1. Driver version : 12.19.1.32, from june 24 2021 and it would be the most recent one according to me trying to update it from the dedicated button.
  2. Windows version 22H2 with 64bits OS.
  3. I wasn't aware of the multiple states to awake from. I look for minimum electricity consumption therefore I would say S5 ?
  4. I don't understand the question "Geekom mini IT11 is it a modern standby system?". I'm not sure I can answer that ... Geekom is the manufacturer of the mini IT11 but I have no knowledge of such precise device property.
  5. I did it and Wake On Line is now working as expected !!

That was it ... so simple if this is just the fast startup thingy.

Thank you very much !

0 Kudos
B_Y
Employee

Hello Simon,

Glad to hear its working for you now.

Modern Standby means or starts when the user causes the system to enter sleep (e.g user pressing the power button, closing the lid, idling out, or selecting Sleep from the power button in the Windows Start menu). On entry to Modern Standby, apps and system software must be made ready for the transition to low-power operation.

We confirm receipt of your request to close this ticket. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

BY_Intel

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos