Ethernet Products
Determine ramifications of Intel® Ethernet products and technologies
4916 Discussions

[drivers]: Incorrect declarations for event strings

TCR
Beginner

Hi everybody,

The i18n strings for the Windows event log are missing because of a mistake in the drivers.

The INF file contains: 

[win10.EventLog]
AddReg = win10.AddEventLog.reg

[win10.AddEventLog.reg]
HKR, , EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\netevent.dll;%13%\e2fmsg.dll"
HKR, , TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 7

So the registry points to e2fmsg.dll in the destination directory for the event strings.

But one of your colleagues forgot to actually add e2fmsg.dll to the copy files section.
So e2fmsg.dll is missing from the destination directory.

Ironically the INF files for the Wi-Fi drivers (Netwtw6e.INF) and Bluetooth drivers (ibtusb.inf) also contain a mistake for the event messages.
In Netwtw6e.INF:

[Reg_CommonAddEventLog_10_WinT]
HKR,, EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\netevent.dll;%%13%%\Netwtw10.sys"
HKR,, TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 7

[Reg_CommonAddEventLog_10_WinA]
HKR,, EventMessageFile, 0x00020000, "%%SystemRoot%%\System32\netevent.dll;%%13%%\Netwaw10.sys"
HKR,, TypesSupported, 0x00010001, 7

In ibtusb.inf:

; Event Log install section
;
[ibtusb_iBT_EventLog_Inst]
AddReg=ibtusb_iBT_EventLog_AddReg

[ibtusb_iBT_EventLog_AddReg]
HKR,,EventMessageFile,0x00020000,"%%SystemRoot%%\System32\IoLogMsg.dll;%%13%%\ibtusb.sys"
HKR,,TypesSupported,0x00010001,7

Adding variable declarations to the Windows registry by escaping them, of course, only works for environment variables like "SystemRoot".
The string "%13%" is now added to the registry instead of it's value. %%13%% should have been written as %13%.

13 is not a proper descriptive name.
Why is the same mistake made in multiple drivers? Isn't this properly tested?

With friendly regards,

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Please share the following information that would help in checking your request. 

1. Please share the current driver version involved on this request. You may share the download link so we can check on it. 

2. Exact model of your Ethernet Controller/Adapter

3. Brand and model of your board in case that the Ethernet is embedded on the board.

4. Exact Operating System used

Looking forward to your reply. 

We will follow up after 3 business days in case we don't hear from you. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
TCR
Beginner

Dear Crisselle,

1. This is applies to all driver versions from 2021 to the most up-to-date versions offered on intel.com.
2. It concerns the following models:
    Ethernet:  I225/I226
    WiFi: 9xxx/AXxxx
    Bluetooth: 3165/3168/7265D/8xxx/9xxx/AXxxx

3. The OEM doesn't matter in this case, it is present in the vanilla drivers offered by Intel.
4. This applies to both the Windows 10 and 11 drivers.

With friendly regards,

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Thank you for the swift response. 

Please allow us to further check your request internally. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Hoping for your kind patience. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TCR,

I hope you're having a wonderful day. We just want to update you that we are still checking this issue. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than 3 business days. 

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Good day!

We sincerely apologize for the delay on this matter as we are thoroughly checking on this. Please give us more time to look into this. Rest assured that we will update you as soon as there is any findings but not later than 3 business days.

Thank you for your kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Good day!

Please see below feedback from our engineers and let us know if you have questions or clarifications. We will provide another update on 1st week of December regarding the status of this request.

This is a known driver issue. We will provide the fix in the next driver release, ETA end of 2022.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

How are you doing? I hope this message finds you well!

We are sending this update to inform you that we are still waiting for the feedback from our engineering regarding the next driver release. Rest assured that we are closely monitoring this request and give you another update after 2 weeks. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

I hope this message finds you well!

Please be informed that our engineers is still checking on this matter. We are still waiting for their feedback and rest assured that we will give you an update before the year ends. 

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello TCR,

I hope you're having a wonderful day.

We just want to update you that our Engineers is still checking on this issue. We are still waiting for their feedback and rest assured that we will give you an update on the first week of January.  

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Good day!

Please be informed that we are still waiting for the update from our engineering team. We understand that we promised to give an update before the year ends and we sincerely apologize as we were not able to fulfill this. Rest assured that we will make a follow up to our engineers on this matter. Please expect an update no later than 1 week. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

How are you doing? I hope this message finds you well!

We'd like to inform you that we are still actively working on this issue and we are still waiting for the feedback from our higher level Engineers. We will give you an update as soon as possible but no later than a week.

We highly appreciate your kind patience on this matter.

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hello TCR,

Good day and I hope everything is great!

This is just an update to inform you that we are still waiting for the feedback from our engineering team. We understand that this is taking too long but rest assured that we are still working on this request. 

Kindly expect another update for the status of this one no later than 1 week.

Thank you for you kind understanding. 

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

Hi TCR,

Sorry for the delay as our engineering team just get back with the information. See below the statement.

Intel have released latest NDIS and NetAdapterCx driver for i225/i226 that should resolve the issue, however it is yet to be released on adapter complete driver pack.

If you need it urgently you may need to check with the OEM as we have provided the driver engineering release to all OEM for them to integrate it with their drivers.

Let me know if this solved your issue.

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

Hi TCR,

Good day and I hope everything is great!

This is just a follow up regarding the issue of your reported with us.

If you have additional questions or clarifications, feel free to let us know.

Should there be no response from you, I’ll make sure to reach out within 2 business day.

Let us know if there are any preferred date/time to reach you so that we can revert accordingly. Thanks.

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos
TCR
Beginner

Hi Shaq,

I've been able to verify the change for the Ethernet drivers.

The Bluetooth and Wi-Fi drivers haven't been fixed yet.

With friendly regards,

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

Hi TCR,

Thank you for verify the update and it still not fixing your issue. If possible, can you provide a screen shot of the latest driver version that you are using right now? SO i can forward it to our engineering team to do a test from their end.

Shaq_intel

0 Kudos
TCR
Beginner

Hi Shaq,

Thank you for verify the update and it still not fixing your issue.

That is not what I meant.

These mistakes in the setup information files were present in 3 different drivers.

1. Bluetooth (latest version 22.210.0.3 - Not Fixed)

2. Ethernet (latest version 1.1.4.38 - Fixed)

3. Wi-FI (latest version 22.200.1.1 - Not Fixed)

All the information the engineers (should) need is in my original post.

With friendly regards,

Thijs

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

HI TCR,

As this issue might be related with the OEM setting from their driver pack that had caused it. What we can do now is that to wait the OEM to properly update their driver to make sure all the error is already being fixed. Sorry for the inconveniences that had cause you.

As our engineering team still looking into this matter at the moment.

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos
TCR
Beginner

Hi Shaq,

It has nothing to do with that.

With friendly regards,

0 Kudos
Shaq_Intel

Hi TCR,

After checking with the Engineering team. It as more your case is related to Wireless issue. I would suggest you to create another case for the Wireless team to support you.

You can create the new wireless case by following this link.

https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/bd-p/wireless

Shaq_Intel

0 Kudos