FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5932 Discussions

Stratix10: Non-GHRD Linux build? Non-Yocto Linux Build?

AFawc
Novice

As anyone successfully built a custom linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA that is not the GHRD? As anyone successfully built a linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA without Yocto (LFS, Buildroot?)

To give some context, we are able to do the GHRD Yocto build as explained on RocketBoards but any deviation from the GHRD is met on our end by questions without answers:

-How can we generate the DTS and DTB without the soc2dtb command that was provided with the SOC EDS? I understand that this is a loaded question because this also implies that the board info .xml file needs to be generated which is also a question by itself. I see that the meta-intel-fpga-refdes has some .dtsi files that are provided but what path should we follow to customize it to our own design?

-Is the aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc Cross-compilation toolchain still appropriate?

-Has anyone used different init system? (SystemV, systemd)

-Has anyone tried different bootloaders other than u-boot? I see that a document supporting UEFI exists but that requires the EDS.

As you can see I have a lot of questions but I hope this can get a discussion started.

Thanks,

Alex

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi,

Q: As anyone successfully built a custom linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA that is not the GHRD? As anyone successfully built a linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA without Yocto (LFS, Buildroot?)

To give some context, we are able to do the GHRD Yocto build as explained on RocketBoards but any deviation from the GHRD is met on our end by questions without answers:

A: Rocketbord is the main reference as GSRD. The instruction build project from rocketboard will lead successful and maybe some cases need support prom us. for custom linux we can modify such to add I2C pin, to change eMMC data width or speed or to create application.

Q -How can we generate the DTS and DTB without the soc2dtb command that was provided with the SOC EDS? I understand that this is a loaded question because this also implies that the board info .xml file needs to be generated which is also a question by itself. I see that the meta-intel-fpga-refdes has some .dtsi files that are provided but what path should we follow to customize it to our own design?

A: Here is several example

• dtc can be installed by this command on linux:
  • sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler
  • you can compile dts or dtsi files by this command:
  • dtc -I dts -O dtb -o devicetree_file_name.dtb devicetree_file_name.dts
  • you can convert dts to dtb by this command:
  • dtc -I dts -O dtb -f devicetree_file_name.dts -o devicetree_file_name.dtb
  • you can convert dtb to dts by this command:
  • dtc -I dtb -O dts -f devicetree_file_name.dtb -o devicetree_file_name.dts

Q-Is the aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc Cross-compilation toolchain still appropriate?

A: Yes, it still approriate

wget https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Files/downloads/gnu-a/10.2-2020.11/binrel/gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

tar xf gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

rm gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

export CROSS_COMPILE=`pwd`/gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu/bin/aarch64-none-linux-gnu-

export ARCH=arm64

Q -Has anyone used different init system? (SystemV, systemd)

A: mostly we are using systemd

Q: -Has anyone tried different bootloaders other than u-boot? I see that a document supporting UEFI exists but that requires the EDS.

A: mostly we support u-boot. For my experience, I never heard or solve issue about UEFI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi,

I will take a look your questions and will come back to you soon

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi,

Q: As anyone successfully built a custom linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA that is not the GHRD? As anyone successfully built a linux system for the Stratix10 SoC FPGA without Yocto (LFS, Buildroot?)

A: Rocketbord is the main reference as GSRD. The instruction build project from rocketboard will lead successful and maybe some cases need support prom us. for custom linux we can modify such to add I2C pin, to change eMMC data width or speed or to create application.

Q -How can we generate the DTS and DTB without the soc2dtb command that was provided with the SOC EDS? I understand that this is a loaded question because this also implies that the board info .xml file needs to be generated which is also a question by itself. I see that the meta-intel-fpga-refdes has some .dtsi files that are provided but what path should we follow to customize it to our own design?

A: Here is several example

• dtc can be installed by this command on linux:
  • sudo apt-get install device-tree-compiler
  • you can compile dts or dtsi files by this command:
  • dtc -I dts -O dtb -o devicetree_file_name.dtb devicetree_file_name.dts
  • you can convert dts to dtb by this command:
  • dtc -I dts -O dtb -f devicetree_file_name.dts -o devicetree_file_name.dtb
  • you can convert dtb to dts by this command:
  • dtc -I dtb -O dts -f devicetree_file_name.dtb -o devicetree_file_name.dts

Q-Is the aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc Cross-compilation toolchain still appropriate?

A: Yes, it still approriate

wget https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Files/downloads/gnu-a/10.2-2020.11/binrel/gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

tar xf gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

rm gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu.tar.xz

export CROSS_COMPILE=`pwd`/gcc-arm-10.2-2020.11-x86_64-aarch64-none-linux-gnu/bin/aarch64-none-linux-gnu-

export ARCH=arm64

Q -Has anyone used different init system? (SystemV, systemd)

A: mostly we are using systemd

Q: -Has anyone tried different bootloaders other than u-boot? I see that a document supporting UEFI exists but that requires the EDS.

A: mostly we support u-boot. For my experience, I never heard or solve issue about UEFI.

0 Kudos
AFawc
Novice

Hi @mabdrahi,

Thank you for your multiple answers. We will try on our end to generate a custom Linux by cross-compiling and customizing the OS our-self without using YOCTO. If we ever meet specific problems we will contact you. We will probably do it with the GHRD DTS provided and compile the DTC with the commands you gave.

When you say that we might need your support for some custom build, do we just ask though the forums?

Cheers,

Alexx

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi,

Are you satisfied with the answer?

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

Hi,

I hope you doing well,

may i know is im answered your question?

0 Kudos
AFawc
Novice

I just replied earlier. Sorry I was away.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Sorry that the case has been closed from our side 16 August 2023 because there are no replies from your end.

In order for us to continue support this case, can you help us try login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response? If you failed to post a note following the above method, you may need to open a new forum thread for us to continue the support. 

We are sorry again for the trouble as we cannot reopen the case from our side anymore. 

From 

Kenny

Intel Employee

0 Kudos
mabdrahi
Employee

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

0 Kudos