FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

hsmc dvi recognition by os

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm using a Terasic HSMC DVI connected to a DE3 board. Everything works great except for the fact that the NVidia software is not recognizing the HSMC DVI properly. It sees it as a BenQ fp93v monitor. This means that because of the limitations of that BenQ, I cannot send at UXGA (1600 by 1200). Though lower resolutions work fine with my design. The problem is that I really need that UXGA! 

I'm working in 64-bit Windows xp. And I'm using an NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 with updated drivers.  

The Terasic specs say that it should be able to receive in UXGA. So, I'm confused as to why the graphics card won't send at that resolution (even though it does so for my monitor). Any ideas? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Apparently Terasic is speaking of the hardware capabilities of the DVI interface. The problem is however in the VESA DDC data presented by the interface respectively understood by your graphics adapter.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. It looks like I'll have to try it with a different graphics card. Terasic support said they hadn't tested the device with the graphics card I'm using. Unfortunately, they didn't tell me which graphics card it does work with! 

Cheers.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or a smarter solution may be to try and modify the dvi receiver's EDID data in order to get it working with the graphics card I have. Terasic does provide a loop-back demo that includes a module for updating the EDID on the EEPROM. I think I'll give that a shot.

0 Kudos