Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

BSOD with Lightroom and Photoshop

franciscomnunes
Beginner

I have a ENVY laptop with Arc 370M GPU and frequently get a BSOD with error CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT when using Lightroom or Photoshop. The situation goes usually as follows: I open Lightroom or Photoshop and it works normally but then the laptop freezes when reopening the apps after having been minimized or not used for a few minutes.

I have the most recent drivers for both graphics cards iGPU Intel Iris Xe and Intel Arc 370M: driver version 31.0.101.5186. I have tried with old drivers before and different combinations of drivers (Windows normally rolls back iGPU driver) but the problems is not yet resolved.

Although both programs work normally you may end with BSOD if you're doing something else and forget Lightroom or Photoshop windows open running in the background, which is really annoying.

Any help on this would be welcome. Thank you

0 Kudos
37 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for posting in our Intel communities.

We understand that you are having an issue with BSOD when using Lightroom and Photoshop.

In order for me to isolate the issue and provide you with the best solution, please provide the following information:

• When did the issue start?
  • Were Lightroom and Photoshop working fine before?
  • Are there any specific actions that raised the issue?
  • Have you changed anything on the system that led to the issue?
  • Have you already enabled the resizable bar? If not, please enable the resizable bar, as it is important for the graphics performance.
  • I do not have sufficient details about your hardware and software configuration to help you. Please run the SSU report so I can check important details such as the OS build number, graphics driver version, errors logged in the system, etc.
  • If you have taken any steps to fix this issue before contacting us, please give me those details so we don't repeat any unnecessary steps.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona,

Answering your questions:

• The issue started since I have the laptop, it has always been like this.
  • Photoshop and Lightroom have always worked liked this in this laptop
  • The issue occurs when I have Photoshop or Lightroom open but am not "working" in the programs and when I maximize it after the programs have been minimized for a few minutes
  • no, no changes in the system whatsoever

• I was searching around but I cannot find the option to enable Resizable BAR; here's what appears on the Intel DSAfranciscomnunes_0-1707385681101.png

I also attach the SSU report 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for the response.

Based on our research, here are the possible reasons why the issue that we have occurs:

• Outdated Firmware
  • Updated Drivers
  • Hardware Issues
  •  System File Issues
  • Malware or Virus in the System
  • Broken or Incomplete System Files
  • Incompatible RAM

In regards to that, please follow the below troubleshooting steps for a possible solution.

By the way, since this is an OEM (Branded Laptop) original equipment manufacturer device, please take into consideration that our support may be limited since we are not familiar with the technology, settings, custom drivers, and features that the OEM has designed and installed in your system. Nevertheless, I will do my best to assist you with your concern.

1.Clean installation

2.Reset BIOS or set your BIOS settings to default.

3.Update BIOS

4.Update Windows

5.Run SFC

• In the command prompt window, type SFC/scannow and press Enter. The system file checker utility checks the integrity of Windows system files and repairs them if required. After the process is complete, reboot the computer.

6.Run Windows Troubleshooter.

• 1.Open Settings and click on “Update & Security."
  • 2.Click on the “Troubleshoot” option from the list of options present on the sidebar.
  • 3. Click on the “Blue Screen” option and further click on “Run the Troubleshooter,” as shown in the image below.
  • 4.The troubleshooter will start looking for possible threats from the Blue Screen of Death error.

Furthermore, upon checking the Photoshop and Lightroom system requirements, it appears that your system meets the requirements.

And as for the resizable bar, if there is no option on the BIOS for the resizable bar, it means that your OEM, which is HP, may not have customized the laptop for the resizable bar feature. However, to confirm it, you may contact HP support.

HP Support: https://support.hp.com/my-en

And just a reminder, please make sure that it is the Arc 370M GPU that is being used or enabled in your system.

Check GPU from Task Manager

1. In Windows 11, right-click on the Start button.
  2. Select Task Manager from the menu.
  3. Select Performance.
  4. In the last pane of the tab, choose GPU. If this option is available, it will likely be at the bottom of the list.
  5. In the top right corner of the GPU selection, information about your computer’s GPU will be visible.

Please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you are about to perform so we can decide what we can do next.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona, 

Thank you for your reply.

Here's what I've done:

• I have not made any changes to BIOS and have latest version installed;
  • I have clean installed graphics drivers and updated manually since then (because Arc Control can't seem to find any updates);
  • I have run SFC and DISM Cleanup Image and no integrity violations were found;
  • I couldn't find BSOD troubleshooter but I run Windows Update troubleshooter instead (and it corrected some issue);
  • I've contacted HP support about resizable BAR but got no answer yet

I send you a WinDbg file of the last time it happened so you can have more info on the issue.

Thank you

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for the response and for following the troubleshooting steps that we have provided.

We will do further research on this matter and post the response on this thread once it is available.

Have a fantastic day, and thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner
0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hello franciscomnunes,

Thank you for patiently waiting. Please check our update below:

The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error is a blue screen error that signifies a problem with your processor. It means that one of the processor cores is not responding to commands within the expected time. This error can be triggered by various factors, such as faulty or outdated drivers, hardware issues, or software conflicts.

One possible reason for this error when using Lightroom or Photoshop is that these programs are intensive on the CPU and may cause it to overheat or malfunction. Another possible reason is that there is a conflict between the graphics driver and the processor.

To help you resolve this issue, we kindly request you to provide the following information:

1. Did you try updating the graphics driver from the HP website? If not, please be advised that the driver from the HP website is customized and we recommend downloading it from HP to isolate the issue. As per the HP website, the latest OEM driver version they have is 31.0.101.4502.

2. Kindly run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to check if there is an issue with the processor. Once done, please send the screenshot of the result.

3. What is the Lightroom and Photoshop version you are using?

If you are still having issues after trying the recommendations, please help generate a new set of SSU logs for us to check if the changes are applied.

If you have questions, please let us know. In case we do not hear from you, we will make a follow up after 3 workings days. Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael L.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your answer.

Well, the BSOD error depends, sometimes is CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT but it can be VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE as per my last reply with WinDbg file.

I am using the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom installed directly from Adobe Creative Cloud.

Those previous drivers versions don't work well with certain Lightroom and Photoshop tools, like AI Denoise which takes a much longer to perform - with old version drivers AI Denoise isn't fully using dGPU - anf it's a tool I make use of and it works netter with newer verisions.

The Laptop works perfectly well and silently when using Lightroom and or Photoshop, so I believe this programs aren't being too intensive on the CPU and it is not overheating (task manager confirms it).

I send you the CPU test and a new SSU Log.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes.

Thank you so much for providing us with the details that we have requested.

We just wanted to confirm if you have already tried to update your graphics drivers using the new graphics driver from HP.

If not, please use the HP graphics drivers to upgrade your system's graphics driver by clicking the link below.

Furthermore, are these the versions of Photoshop and Lightroom that you are using?

• Lightroom, version 13.1
  • Photoshop, version 25.4

By the way, we have noted the information that you already provided us and will use it in further investigations.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona, 

Thank you for your answer!

I've had those drivers installed before and the behavior was identical. In fact, Windows Update kept on installing that driver version (4502) but only for Iris Xe leaving Arc with the newer version.

Also, the Lightroom and Photoshop performance in some specific tools like AI Denoise is worse with older drivers versions, so rolling back and loose performance doesn't seem like a preferable option for me.

And yes, I am using those Lightroom Classic and Photoshop versions. I havent' really tried with Lightroom (v.7.2) because I mainly use Classic version.

Thank you!

Francisco

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you for confirming the information we requested.

Since I have gathered the information that is needed for further research, I will now discuss our issue again with my team and post the update on this thread once it is available.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Thank you, Carmona!

Have a nice day!

Francisco

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for patiently waiting on our response.

Please try to remove the graphics driver using DDU and then download the latest graphics driver we offer, which is driver version 31.0.101.5194_101.5252 (Latest). 

As for the DDU, please choose the Read More blue button dated January 19. Select Click here for Download and Support > Select. **Download DDU "Portable/self-extracting"**

You may visit the following page for further details on where we get the recommended troubleshooting steps:

Please let us know the result of the troubleshooting steps that you are about to perform so we can decide what we can do next.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona,

Thank you for your answer.

That link you sent regarding the recommended troubleshooting steps for Photoshop freeze doesn't apply here because that issue reported doesn't occur.

Nevertheless, I recently had to do a clean Windows install and I have latest WHQL Certified drivers installed. I'll update here if the issue persists. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for the response.

If the clean Windows installation and the latest WHQL-certified drivers did not resolve the issue, please try the troubleshooting steps that we have provided, as they were actually validated by our engineers, which means that you may apply those troubleshooting steps to our issue as well.

We will wait for your updates!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

We are following up with you to see whether the troubleshooting steps you performed have resolved our issue.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona,

The issue persists.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for the update.

We may know if you have already tried to remove your graphics driver using DDU and then downloaded the latest graphics driver we offer, which is driver version 31.0.101.5194_101.5252 (Latest)?

If yes, and if the issue still persists, please share with us your new SSU.

We will be waiting for your response.

Best regards, 

Carmona A.

0 Kudos
franciscomnunes
Beginner

Hi Carmona,

Thank you for you answer.

As I wrote in some posts before, I recently had to clean install Windows and I then installed latest drivers. I have now installed latest WHQL Certified driver (31.0.101.5333). So far the issue didn't occurred again but I try not to let Photoshop or Lightroom go idle, so I didn't reproduce the issue thoroughly. 

I'll let you know if it happens again.

Thank you!

Francisco

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello Franciscomnunes,

Thank you so much for the update.

We are quite glad to hear that the issue has not occurred as of now. Please keep us posted on your monitoring.

Best regards,

Carmona A.

0 Kudos