Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20642 Discussions

Do I have a graphics card or CPU problem?

idata
Employee

I have an Intel E5200 Dual Core processor on a Sony all-in-one computer. The graphics card is a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD. The computer is a hybrid notebook /desktop.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665916721 VGC-JS320J/S | VAIO® JS Series Desktop PC | Sony | Sony Style USA

Only one game is played on the system. Mahjong Titans (the game that comes with Windows 7). Whenever I play Mahjong Titans the fan runs at a high RPM. When Windows boots, it is at 2150 RPM. After playing Mahjong Titans for about an hour, the RPM goes to about 3,500 and the fan is loud. It always happens.

The temperature of the cores remain at 36 and 38 degrees.

Do I have a graphics card problem, CPU problem, or other issue?

Could Mahjong Titans which I was told is a 3D game be too much for the x4500 to handle? I can't imagine it is. Would a dedicated GPU solve the problem? I was told that even if I get a dedicated graphics card, it still might heat just as much as the x4500. Is that true?

One thing interesting that happens is when I put the computer into sleep mode, then come out of it 5 seconds later, the fan RPM resets to the original RPM when Windows boots. 2,150 RPM

If I upgrade the processor to an E7400 Core 2 Duo, will that processor not heat up as much as the E5200 when playing Mahjong Titans and consequently lower the fan RPM?

I am not looking for any other solutions. I have tried everything else imagineable.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

What fans goes to 3500 rpm? tthe CPU fan or the case fans?

See if GPUZ can recognise the onboards graphics and the temps, and then see what they are at. I doubt it will be that hot but check anyways.

But to be honest it doesn't sound like you have a problem (3500 is within normal CPU fan range), yes the fans may be loud but the are there to keep the system cool although your CPU temps are completely fine, nowhere near getting hot..... Maybe there are being a little agrresive, if so check in your BIOS to see if tehre are any fan management options, Also see if there is a BIOS update..

Also you could test the CPU with http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19182&lang=eng see what it comes up with

"I was told that even if I get a dedicated graphics card, it still might heat just as much as the x4500. Is that true?" yes well, kinda as in it won't "might" as much as definately be hotter and give more heat. The x4500 is designed for laptops and such and therefore will not or at least should not give out as much heat and a full on GPU.

"one thing interesting that happens is when I put the computer into sleep mode, then come out of it 5 seconds later, the fan RPM resets to the original RPM when Windows boots. 2,150 RPM" this makes it sound like a FW bios issue

"I am not looking for any other solutions. I have tried everything else imagineable." huh what???!!!!! well thats kind of a silly thing to say. If you want to update any part of your system go ahead...but you will need to contact sony for compatibility. the E7400 will give out if not more the same amount of heat as your e5200, which is not overheating, so even if you changed it will not help. About putting a GPU in, well i doubt very much you will be able to.I doubt you will have teh space nor teh slot needed. Have you contact Sony about this?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey there, I've just posted a discussion on here when my daughter's computer was showing 100% CPU and heating up on simply opening a word document!!

The problem was that somehow, Windows Automatic Updates had tried unsuccessfully to install the latest drivers and screwed up the graphics configuration.

I think, after this, the CPU was going mad trying to use wrong graphics drivers.

Go to Device Manager, Graphics Adaptors, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD and click 'Driver Details' - see what's going on in there.

Also have a look at my post to see what I did to semi-rectify the problem.

Good luck, Fizz.

0 Kudos
DKnow2
Valued Contributor I

My different CPU fans run constantly under 600 or 1100. After adding a TV tuner card the fan goes from under 600 to 2100 or 2500 rpms for no reason. Background processes such as antivirus, updates or system cleanup could be involved. Reports of fan problems point to many things. I may try to reinstall Win 7 again but the card information is not very helpfull. Sleep and hibernation were working before for me with the GMA 4500 and all of the 775 boards should have pretty much the same thermal characteristics. A graphics card might change the system for the better but a clean install could also.

0 Kudos