Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20657 Discussions

GPU scaling with Intel HD Graphics 3000

idata
Employee

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z570 withCore i7 2670QM CPU and an Optimus graphics solution (Intel HD Graphics 3000 and dedicated NVIDIA GT 540 M graphics card) running Windows 7 64bit.

It's connected to my FullHD Display via HDMI and everything works fine so far.

Since I use this display with my desktop PC and want to use the display's speakers for whatever machine is connected it's very annoying, that when I'm listening to music, the display's sound suspends for some moment while resolution changes.

On my desktop PC (having only an NVIDIA graphics card) I can go to the NVIDIA control panel and choose for every monitor, that's connected, whether the display or the NVIDIA GPU does the scaling for non native resolutions.

For my desktop PC this is a workaround for the sound issue, because with GPU scaling the resolution keeps the same and the graphics card does the stretching, and/or inserts bars to keep aspect ratio.

For my notebook the NVIDIA control panel lacks that option, since Intel HD Graphics seems to be the primary adapter (directly connected to HDMI port).

However when I change the notebook's resolution in windows to a non native (lower) resolution, in the display's advanced options in the Intel graphics tab appear scaling options (keep aspect ratio, center, custom, fullscreen), but none of them really work out. my display keeps changing the (real) resolution (or at least reinitializes itself) on resolution change, like when starting games that do not support the native resolution, even when stretched to full screen (with or without correct aspect ratio).

Hope somebody can help,

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Hello,

The Intel(R) video driver will always try to use the native and optimal resolution of the display based on what it detects from the EDID (extended display identification data) of the display connected.

In this case, your system uses a special driver that is customized by your Original Equipment Manufacturer to support the switch able graphics option. So, I suggest you to check with your notebook manufacturer to see if there are any options on your system to avoid that.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You can use a keyboard shortcut for display panel fit (ctrl+alt+f11) to toggle between three modes of 'panel fit', none, maintain aspect ratio, or full. The shortcut changes the default 'state' of your panel fit. You can change this shortcut in your Intel Graphics properties under Options and Support > Hot key manager.

Be aware that if you do this whilst operating at a non native resolution in a full screen OpenGL application, you have to put your windows desktop resolution back to its initial value after quiting the OpenGL application; only once though.

0 Kudos
LC5
Beginner

>> You can use a keyboard shortcut for display panel fit (ctrl+alt+f11) to toggle between three modes of 'panel fit', >>none, maintain aspect ratio, or full. The shortcut changes the default 'state' of your panel fit.

This isn't true for all Intel drivers. Some Windows 8 drivers only allow one 'panel fit' option.

0 Kudos