Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20639 Discussions

Intel HD 4400 problems

NClyd
Novice

Hello everyone, I really need someones help.

For the past 2 months I've been trying to upgrade my graphics card to a stable but more recent release. My current and factory graphics card release is 5/17/2014 version 10.18.10.3621. For some reason, it has flickering problems running Minecraft that makes the game totally unplayable. Apparently, I'm not the only one that experienced this problem. After doing a search, I found quite a lot of people with the same graphics card, Intel HD 4400, with the exact same problem. The only way to fix the flickering problem is to update to the most recent graphics card release. So I went to my manufacturers website (Hewlett Packard) and searched up my product name. Then I found the new graphics card update. I downloaded it, installed it, and tested it for stability. Surprisingly, it fixed the flickering screen when playing Minecraft but another problem arose. When I play the game, the screen will flicker (this is not the exact flicker from the previous driver) and show a black screen in less than a second, then goes back to normal. The best way to describe it is when you play a game in fullscreen, and then you ALT+TAB, that's kind of how it would look like. Also, this just doesn't happen in Minecraft, it also happens in other games I play like Counter Strike: Source, League of Legends, Elsword etc. The black screen flickering was really frustrating and can impact a game quite a lot, I had no choice but to upgrade to the generic driver here. The driver I downloaded here was version 15.36.18.4156, but that driver did not fix the black screen issue. I waited for a couple of weeks for Intel to release the new update. Now, the most recent and newly released driver is version 15.36.19.64.4170. That still did not fix the black screen issue.

I really don't know what to do anymore up to this point, I've updated my graphics card from my manufacturer and from here but the issue is still not fixed.

Someone please help me try to fix the issue I'm having.

Thank you in advance,

This is my system specs:

Manufacturer: HP

Product ID: HP15r110dx

GPU: Intel HD 4400 (labeled only in Device Manager as Intel HD Graphics Family, likely because it is an integrated graphics card)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4210U

RAM: 6 GB

6 Replies
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Audionics

We are investigating the issue and will post updates to this thread.

Thanks

Robert

Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am currently researching on this issue. As soon as I can, I will send you a message with my findings. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Allan.

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Audionics

Could you please provide additional details on the issue?

1. What version of the game are you playing?

2. What are the graphics settings for the game?

3. What resolution is your display set to?

4. Do you have more than one display connected to the system?

5. Does the issue occur when the game is played in the windowed mode?

6. Does the issue occur when playing multi player online or stand alone?

Thanks

Robert

NClyd
Novice

Thank you very much for the reply Mr. Allan and Mr. Robert.

Also this is the additional details:

1. What version of the game are you playing?

Every game I have on my computer is up-to-date.

2. What are the graphics settings for the game?

The graphics settings for the games I have is set to the default settings.

3. What resolution is your display set to?

My display resolution is set to 1366x768.

4. Do you have more than one display connected to the system?

No, I do not.

5. Does the issue occur when the game is played in the windowed mode?

Yes, the issue still occurs even when the game is played in windowed mode.

6. Does the issue occur when playing multiplayer online or stand alone?

I usually only play multiplayer games but the issue still occurs on both multiplayer online and stand alone games.

Also, I would like to describe the black screen flicker in a more detailed way.

The black screen flicker I'm having is similar to when you install/uninstall a graphics card. The screen will turn black for a few seconds and goes back on. Only difference is the issue I have occurs much faster. The screen will only flicker for about half a second.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for replying back with the requested information.

Does this issue still occur with latest video drivers 4222?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24964/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-8-1-64-bit Intel® Download Center

Allan.

0 Kudos
NClyd
Novice

Hello,

No, the issue does not occur anymore with the latest video driver for Intel HD 4400.

Thank you very much for fixing the issue!

0 Kudos