Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Is Graphics Media Acceleration Driver v.2622 download applicable to the Core i7 2600 k processor?

PWert
Valued Contributor I

The Graphics Media Accelerator Driver ver. 15.22.54.64.2622 is found at the download center under Product Family = Graphics, Product Line = Desktop Graphic Controllers and Product Name = HD Graphics.

The READ ME and RELEASE NOTES state the download is applicable to i3 and i5 processors,among others, but DOES NOT include the i7 desktop processor.

The Purpose section of the Detailed Description contained in the download INCLUDES the second generation Core i7 processor as applicable to the update. Is it?

Why is this update only found at the above location in downloads and not in the automated section that automatically detects and updates drivers or in the download section where you enter with Family = Desktop Boards, Line = Series 6 Chipset, etc.

As the owner of a DH67CL board with the i7-2600k processor my experiences with the Intel Support (Downloads), especially BIOS updates, have been very disappointing. Regards. Peter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

I'm running it on an i7 MacBook Air. The driver fixes a long-standing crash bug with Mass Effect... but unfortunately seems to introduce another one. All other applications so far run well.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's for laptops only. If you have a desktop, it won't show in the automated update.

To avoid confusion in the future, I suggest you use the boad-specific selection along with the OS used rather than chip set. Or just use the automated update. It's pretty smart.

0 Kudos
PWert
Valued Contributor I

Hi CarWiz. Thanks for the response. If this update is just for laptops, Intel's directions are not just confusing - they are misleading!

Go to Support - Browse for Product Support. Enter Graphics - Desktop Graphics Controllers - Intel HD Graphics - Drivers - O/S and you get the instant update.

As I stated in the original post, the Detailed Description contained in the update states the update applies to BOTH Core i7 Processors and Core i7 Mobile Processors. However, the README and RELEASE NOTES only address the i7 Mobile Processor.

I think the question remains - Is this update applicable to i7 desktop processors? Regards. Peter

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

They are for Desktop as well.

0 Kudos
PWert
Valued Contributor I

Hi Yups - Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how you determined the update is for the desktop processor i7? Regards. Peter

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

I have a i5- 2500k Desktop CPU, the driver works flawlessly. There is no difference between i7 and i5 graphics wise, i7 has a higher GPU frequency but that's all. I see no reason why it shouldn't work on i7. The whole 2nd generation HD graphics series should be supported.

0 Kudos