Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20719 Discussions

Issues with Intel Arc GPU on Arch Linux (low performance, power&temp monitor, and LAPAC71H issues)

Crimson-Hawk
Beginner

The title says it all. I own a laptop (Intel NUC LAPAC71H) with Intel Arc A730M, and I found it impossible to monitor the current GPU power. The only tool available to monitor the GPU was via the intel-gpu-tools package here (upstream here) which only offered GPU usage and clock speeds.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Install Arch Linux 
  2. Update with "sudo pacman -Syyuu"
  3. Install KDE
  4. Install Wayland
  5. Install intel-gpu-tools package (sudo pacman -S intel-gpu-tools)
  6. run "sudo intel_gpu_top" in terminal

Secondly, I found that the performance of the GPU is significantly lower than Windows (measured with MangoHUD and MSI afterburner, respectively), especially with Cyberpunk 2077 even when taking into account the translation overhead. The discrete GPU is selected and the game is ran with the latest version of proton and operating system.

1. Install Arch Linux 
  2. Update with "sudo pacman -Syyuu"
  3. Install KDE
  4. Install Wayland
  5. Install steam from multilib package list
  6. Install MangoHUD
  7. Install Cyberpunk 2077
  8. Launch Cyberpunk 2077 with the latest proton version and MangoHUD enabled

Lastly, the GPU power in the system DOES NOT reach the advertised 80-120W. Instead, it is capped at 75 watts even on performance mode set in intel NUC center software, even when the temperatures are under perfect control and under heavy load. I found this problem while in Windows and was unable to solve it.

1. Install Windows 22H2
  2. Install driver version 31.0.101.5084/31.0.101.5122 (WHQL Certified) 
  3. Install the aforementioned NUC control software
  4. Monitor the GPU power with Intel Arc Control

CONCLUSION: I would like the Intel Arc driver team to acknowledge the aforementioned issue and try to implement the following:

1. Add a way to monitor the power draw and temperature of Intel Arc GPUs in Arch Linux
  2. Increase the TDP of the Intel Arc A730M in the laptop LAPAC71H to the advertised 80-120W (preferably through a firmware update)

Thanks to anyone who had the time to read this, or made any contributions to resolve the problem

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Crimson-Hawk,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. We appreciate your feedback and comments related to the GPU monitoring tool for Linux. For us, it is really important to continue improving our products.

I have submitted your recommendations to the corresponding team which will be reviewed.

For the other two issues, please open a thread per issue to keep this one organized and to help you in the best way.

Let me know f you have further questions.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Crimson-Hawk
Beginner

@Andres_Intel 

As requested, this post will now ONLY be on the first problem AKA the inability to monitor the power and temperature of Intel GPUs on Arch Linux. Other questions have been migrated to other threads:

Low performance on Linux: https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Low-performance-on-Intel-Arc-GPUs-on-Arch-Linux/m-p/1561046/highlight/true#M127057

Low TDP on LAPAC71H: https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/Low-GPU-TDP-on-LAPAC71H/m-p/1561048/highlight/true#M105311

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello Crimson-Hawk,

Thank you for letting me know about it, we will take care of those threads soon.

Since we have submitted your recommendations to the corresponding team related to the inability to monitor the power and temperature of Intel GPUs on Linux, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos