Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20671 Discussions

Oculus Quest and Intel ARC graphics

teddy1954
New Contributor I

I am amazed by the answers that Intel support is giving, always doing a copy-paste in response to a problem from more than 2 years ago in which there is no compatibility with the Oculus Quest VR app software.

My problem has been trusting Intel products and buying an ARC 770 16 GB that has had a lot of updates for gaming performance but not to support the most popular and best-selling VR glasses.

I will no longer trust Intel and will continue buying something safe like Nvidia or AMD Radeon in the future.

I give you your typical answer to this problem, so that it is easier for you to make the usual copy-paste:

"We would like to inform you that the Intel Arc graphics support for VR headsets continues to evolve as we ramp up our products and add updates to our software stack."

Regards

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello teddy1954,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ communities. I am sorry to hear that you do not feel satisfied with the VR support of your Intel® Arc™ A770 Graphics.

I would like to provide you with more details than to let you know that, but as you already know the only information that we have is that Intel Arc graphics support for VR headsets continues to evolve.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Regards,  

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
teddy1954
New Contributor I

I understand that you can't help because it is something that the technical or marketing team would have to solve, but it is a problem that has not been resolved for two years.

But as I said in the previous post, I throw away the ARC graphics card and buy one of the ones that do not have problems like the ARC ones as Nvidia or AMD.

Regards

0 Kudos
MarekBazik
Beginner

This is really annoying. I know what you mean. There are workarounds, but after all this time, it is just...stupid. Bought the A770  out of curiosity, as I did the first 3Dfx Voodoo back in the day. But if this lack of support by Intel...or Meta persist, the A770 will end on a shelf as a 1st. gen Intel GPU curiosity, and the next GPU will be an NVIDIA or AMD.

Sorry Intel. I am selfish, no Apple "brainwash" loyalty here.  

0 Kudos
Andres_Intel
Employee

Hello teddy1954,

I am sorry to hear that, we will continue working hard on this issue to solve it as soon as possible.

For now, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards, 

Andres P. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
HAL2024
Beginner

Will never understand this.

Not supporting VR like Ocolus Quest is a no go.

Will never buy a intel graphics card in my life again.

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
Noahl0997
Beginner
Its not Intel's fault that there is no oculus support it's Oculus fault blame them not Intel. Intel is fairly new to creating GPUs so of course there will be problems use common sense.
0 Kudos
teddy1954
New Contributor I

My big mistake was buying a NUC 12 that has this ARC card integrated. If I could, I would remove it and throw it in the trash and put in a new Nvidia graphics card, but to do that I would have to throw away the entire NUC.

0 Kudos
N8LBV
Beginner

Big mistake and zero support or care from Intel.  
Automated response (same one for well over two years) 
And no there currently are NO work-arounds.  
Intel ARC A770 is totally useless for VR.  
I will be getting the word out in a very big way.  
This product and its support are a serious long term joke.  

This is what we get for trying to support Intel. 
Battlemage is guaranteed to be the same joke and not work.  
Never again will this mistake be made.  
You get what you pay for.  
Live, learn and get the word out.  

I also thought I'd buy and use Intel NUC products for quality SOHO firewalls.  
Sounded good at first doesn't it? "trusted Intel hardware".  
But no! they are putting cheap garbage Realtek NICs in their NUC products! 
Which fail miserably at these types of network applications. 
I expected Intel hardware would actually have Intel networking interfaces in them. 
They do not. 
And all had to be returned. 

0 Kudos
Noahl0997
Beginner
Intel is very new to creating graphics cards and you should have looked into the GPUs before you bought it if you have never used one before. Second the arc GPUs are budget GPUs with Nvidia you will be paying 200 more for the same performance as a Intel arc there may be a loss of futures but it's because it's a budget GPU...
0 Kudos
N8LBV
Beginner

Common sense: 
It's been since October 2022.  
Intel is not "very new" at anything and Intel has hired veterans with many years of experience to make this work.  
Intel in failing with a big "F" in terms of communication or even any kind of acknowledgement that VR exits and is completely
ignoring any inquiries to this topic.
Common sense would dictate that Intel should at least acknowledge and should be making an effort to communicate on this topic and they absolutely are not! 
This has absolutely nothing to do with being a budget GPU period.  
If it does not work with Occulus/Meta (and it does not work with occulus/meta) It should be stated publicly and clearly.
Not just completely leave people in the dark like it is now.  
And furthermore at least some kind an effort to communicate with Occulus and product customers on this and share with us what the reasons/answers are that it does not work or will not work.
And if any kind of effort has been made (or will not be made)  should be communicated and it has not been.

0 Kudos
Doxx
Beginner

This is why I'm putting a amd rx 7600 in my system. Yes the card is great, but it not having vr support is a big bummer especially when I've been waiting to do pcvr for a bit now, but didn't realize that arc cards had lack of support for vr, i wanted to try there new big lineup of cards but it seems like that was a mistake. Yes there is workarounds like ALVR but i need 3 different applications to make it work with a cable and get a good output from it, and yet the graphics HAVE to be turned down or else its just a slideshow. and the encoder is also a downplay when you realize the big youtubers promising "good" editing performance and "good" recording performance but my videos just don't turn out like theirs are, RTX was good on the card though, it was what i was expecting. I would put a Nvidia Card inside but i simply just don't have the budget.

0 Kudos
N8LBV
Beginner

FYI- I bought my ARC A770 just to experiment with it and had/still have "expected expectations".  
Also another FYI, after months of not working at all in VR it started working (pretty well) with the latest just released driver
and VRDesktop (VXDR and SteamVR). It did not work with three previous driver versions at all.  
My only complaint is that there is and have been ZERO communication from Intel on this. None whatsoever.
There are plenty of people asking on the forums and here over the past two years and NO answers and NO explanations.  
The latest driver (at this time) that started working is: 31.0.101.5444 (released 4/18/2024).
The release notes give absolutely no mention of VR and neither do any other previous release notes.  
They are leaving us completely in the dark on this and that truly sucks.

0 Kudos