Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20638 Discussions

Screen goes blank and system freezes randomly on iris 540

Murat_B_Intel
Employee

I recently purchased a NUC6i5SYK and installed Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I updated to the latest drivers from Intel's website. However the screen randomly goes blank and everything freezes (including audio), which forces me to a hard-reset.

• The blank screen is always a random color (I believe it's the color that the mouse cursor is pointing at the moment of freeze).
  • It usually doesn't take more than 10 min. to freeze, sometimes much shorter...
  • It doesn't happen when I run graphic intensive programs. It freezes even when I wait without doing anything on the desktop.
  • I also tried the latest beta release for the graphics driver but didn't help (i.e. 15.40.18.4380).
  • I tried connecting the display via HDMI and MDP - same result.

The system info is already in the attached files I think, but I'll write down a summary. I'll appreciate if you can help...

Device: NUC6i5SYK

Display: LG 55UF695V

Graphics Card: Intel Iris Graphics 540

Graphics Driver: 15.40.18.4380 (was also happening with 15.40.14.4352)

5 Replies
Murat_B_Intel
Employee

I made some additional "tests":

• No freezing occurs when I'm watching full screen videos (watched for 1,5h without freezing)
  • I re-installed Windows from scratch. Everything seemed to be OK until automatic driver updates by windows.
0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello birinci,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

Just checking – so the system goes blank when Windows is updating?

I would suggest to uninstall the graphics driver from device manager and restart your system, once that is done install the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25484/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-15-40- Intel® graphics driver.

Best wishes,

Ivan

0 Kudos
Murat_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Ivan,

No, the system freezes randomly. But the issue starts after the Windows update (Windows automatically updated drivers)

I already tried the latest deriver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25644/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10-for-Intel-NUC this link (15.40.14.4352), and the beta driver from /thread/98665 here (15.40.18.4380). The link you sent seem to have an older version (15.40.10.4300).

Anyway, yesterday I installed Ubuntu and everything worked immediately ( how the world has changed!). I don't think I'll go back to windows but if I somehow decide to, I'll try that driver..

Thanks for your help...

0 Kudos
Murat_B_Intel
Employee

...and the reason I wanted to update the driver in the first place is that graphics look pretty bad before the update.

0 Kudos
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Thank you the information you have kindly provided and I hope you can have a good experience with the Intel® NUC from now on and if you need anything else please let me know.

0 Kudos