Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20635 Discussions

Vulkan-1.dll error on Intel Iris XE graphics

SuperiorSoup914

So I was trying to play Sky COTL on Steam which uses Vulkan and it would crash immediately. I've already reinstalled the latest graphics driver which is 31.0.101.5333 and used DDU to uninstall and reinstall the graphics driver. The issue is that somehow Vulkan is corrupted and when installing SDK and runtime to diagnose the issue, I get the error opening file Vulkan-1.dll. When I do vulkaninfo I get this 

WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : windows_read_data_files_in_registry: Registry lookup failed to get layer manifest files.
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : Layer VK_LAYER_Twitch_Overlay uses API version 1.1 which is older than the application specified API version of 1.3. May cause issues.
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : Layer VK_LAYER_OW_OVERLAY uses API version 1.2 which is older than the application specified API version of 1.3. May cause issues.
WARNING: [Loader Message] Code 0 : Layer VK_LAYER_OW_OBS_HOOK uses API version 1.2 which is older than the application specified API version of 1.3. May cause issues.
ERROR: [Loader Message] Code 0 : vkCreateDevice: Failed to create device chain.
ERROR at C:\j\msdk\build\Khronos-Tools\repo\vulkaninfo\vulkaninfo.h:1717:vkCreateDevice failed with ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

Upon searching for the file C:\j, the file doesn't exist. 

Please help. I have the following config:

Windows 11 Pro

Intel Iris XE graphics

intel i7 11th gen

16 gb RAM

512 gb SSD

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ACarmona_Intel

Hello SuperiorSoup914, 

Thank you for posting in our Intel communities.

Please try the following troubleshooting steps below for a possible solution:

1. Please try to clean install your graphics driver again using DDU, then install our newly released graphics (31.0.101.5379).

2. Then, uninstall and install the Sky COTL.

3. Then restart your computer.

And by the way, upon checking the game requirements of Sky COTL, it seems that your system specification does not meet the game requirements of the game. Specifically the GPU VRAM.

In regards to that, you may experience some issues when playing the game.

To learn more about VRAM, please refer to this link: 

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

SuperiorSoup914
Thank you for the reply, but I ended up resetting my pc and it works now!
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
SuperiorSoup914
When I had the error I tried installing the latest Vulkan runtime but the Vulkan-1.dll error showed up and I couldn’t install it.
0 Kudos
johndripper
Beginner

don't install Twitch Studio again it crashes the intel Vulkan drivers 😂 

0 Kudos
johndripper
Beginner

easy fix uninstall Twitch Studio if that doesn't help then  you need to do some additional steps to remove some registry entries manually

viz

1. run regedit.exe take a backup first and then navigate to "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\Vulkan\ImplicitLayers" & remove the conflicting registry entries for me it was twitchStudio looks the same for you too

2. now open cmd/powershell and run C:\Windows\System32\vulkaninfo.exe it should work now without any errors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvb4r7YvguY 

0 Kudos
ACarmona_Intel

Hello SuperiorSoup914, 

Thank you so much for the response.

We wanted to let you know that we are actively looking into the matter.

For your reference, please check this article: Vulkan Games Crashes or Won’t Launch If Twitch Studio* Is Installed (bug ID number 14021909084).

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

Best regards,

Carmona A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos