Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20756 Discussions

Why am I losing performance when I install "Intel Iris & Intel Arc A" drivers? (And how to fix that)

Rafreso
Beginner

This is a repost because my first post got closed after some days I didn't give back any answer. I'm really sorry about that, I was off for some personal reasons.

My question was: 

"So, to start with, i have a laptop with an i5-1135G7, Intel Iris integrated gpu, and since 10/17/22 I cannot update my drivers anymore because all drivers I was able to find after this date are these "Intel Iris & Intel Arc A" drivers, which promise a better otimization and up-to-date support, along with the Intel Arc Center. The problem is that looks like there are some kind of incompatibility the leads to stuttering and lower fps than my older driver in all games, even msi afterburner and the Arc center showing that my both GPU and CPU usage are under 50%. Long story short, I really want an updated driver, cus that from last year is starting to crash, but or I find some way to fix the new drivers, or I need a new driver that is only for Intel Iris (like it was before)."

A mod asked for me to attach an SSU report, and here it is.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Catulpos_Intel

Hello Rafreso,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

I understand that you wanted your drivers to be updated as you wanted to optimize your device when playing games and per checking on the SSU logs you provided, we can see that your graphics driver is at version, 31.0.101.3790.

Prior to providing you with the link to our latest graphics driver, kindly take note that this is an OEM device, we will try to assist you with general troubleshooting steps even if it’s something not traditionally covered in our support. However, if the issue persists, you will have to contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer of your device. Your device manufacturer may have altered features, incorporated customizations, or made other changes to some components for better compatibility with your system.

For us to provide you with a recommendation that best suits your situation, please provide the following information:

• May we know how many and what are the games affected by your reported issue?
  • How did you install your graphics driver?
  • What are the steps taken to troubleshoot the issue?

As for your query regarding new driver for your device, you can install the latest Intel Generic Driver from our download center website. Kindly take note that this driver is compatible with the Intel Iris XE integrated graphics as well as Intel Arc graphics.

Link: Intel® Arc™ & Iris® Xe Graphics - Windows*

Looking forward for your response.  

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rafreso
Beginner

Oh, i see, its an OEM. So lets try what is able for us to try and for futher help i will contact Samsung directly. Thank you

Anwsering the questions:

1- Any game i have tried the GPU just dont worked propely. My main games are Dayz, GTA V and Fortnite

2 - From the Intel download center. I dont have certain, but i think it was before the existence of Intel Arc, and there was Intel Iris specific card drivers.

3 - I reinstalled the newest drivers multiple times, doing a clean install by deleting the old one, and thats all. After that I just installed the "31.0.101.3790" again and continued to use the laptop

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello Rafreso,

Thank you for your response and for your kind understanding.

For us to ensure that we understand the issue correctly, please provide the following information:

• I just want to clarify what happened when you tried to install the latest drivers (31.0.101.5186)?
  • Did the same issue you mentioned persisted?
  • Were you able to test it out on your games?
  • Please indicate why did you reverted to driver version 31.0.101.3790?
  • Kindly provide the SSU logs of your unit so we could have a full glimpse of your system specifications. You can follow the instructions indicated on this article, How to get the Intel® System Support Utility Logs on Windows* for your complete guide and attached the txt file here.
  • Also, please provide the Arc Control logs so we could thoroughly check its activity. The file location is C:\Users\<your_username_here>\AppData|Local\Intel\IGN\logs.

Looking forward for your response.

Best regards,

Catulpos_Intel

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello Rafreso,

I just want to check if you were able to view the previous post. Please let us know if you require further assistance and might need more time to provide the information asked previously.

Thanks, and have a nice day!

Best regards,

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
Rafreso
Beginner

Hi, I'm sorry. So... anwsering the list

1- I had low fps from the under usage of the GPU.

2- Yes, persisted. I tried to install different versions of the "Iris & Arc" drivers, and this exact problem was always there.

3- Yes.

4- To be able to play something, since the old drivers worked correctly (better, at least).

I dont have the ARC center anymore, so I can't send the logs. But here is the SSU report.
I also contacted the OEM asking for some help and they said there are no more drivers for my device, so here we are.

0 Kudos
Catulpos_Intel

Hello Rafreso, 

Please allow us to check this internally with our team. Rest assured that we will inform you immediately once we have a possible fix to your concern. 

Thank you for understanding. 

Best regards, 

JCatulpos

0 Kudos
Ernesto_C_Intel1

Hello Rafreso, 

Thanks for your patience. It's best to install the latest graphics driver for Intel Iris Xe has improvements with games and applications. Kindly clarify what specific games are you having issues with? 

You can download the driver here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/785597/intel-arc-iris-xe-graphics-windows.html

Best regards, 

Ernesto C

Intel Customer Support Engineer

0 Kudos
Ernesto_C_Intel1

Hello Rafreso, 

I'd like to follow-up on my previous message. Please advise if you need more time to answer?

Best regards, 

Ernesto C

0 Kudos
Ernesto_C_Intel1

Hello Rafreso, 

I haven't received any response from your end. This would be our last follow-up on your case. 

Feel free to contact us back if you have any more questions. 

Regards,  

Ernesto C. 

0 Kudos