Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1620 Discussions

Acer Swift SFX16-52G: Sleep mode faulty

FlyingFireTree

I have an Acer Swift SFX16-52G laptop with a dedicated Intel Arc A370M graphics card, integrated Intel Iris Xe Graphics and an Intel Core i7-1260P CPU. I have installed the latest drivers (31.0.101.4826) from September 2023.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing problems with the sleep mode under Windows 11:

• Sometimes, the sleep mode is not correctly activated when pressing the power button, selecting it from the start menu or closing the laptop lid. This is noticable when the keyboard backlight is active: If the sleep mode doesn’t work correctly, the display is turned off but the keyboard backlight stays on. When this happens, the laptop also continues to emit noise (coil whine).
  • If the sleep mode has crashed, it might or might not be possible to wake the laptop. If possible at all, it is very hot and the fans start to work very loudly. I think this is a real problem for the longevity of the machine as I can never be sure if the CPU/GPU won't be toasted when I try setting the laptop to sleep mode.
  • Sometimes, the power button does not work at all, neither for setting the laptop to sleep nor waking it. I have experienced problems with closing the lid, too, but my impression is that this works more reliably.
  • In some cases if setting the laptop to sleep, it wakes immediately, going to the log-in screen.
  • Even if the sleep mode works correctly, the laptop is woken very easily. This can always be reproduced by approaching the keyboard with the hand without touching it.
  • Sometimes, I notice coil whining while working. This might happen especially when the laptop is in a state where problems with sleep mode occur but I'm not sure about that.

I have found that this is a known issue, fittingly termed “wake from crash”, and seems to be  indeed a problem with the graphics card.

So far, I haven’t found how to reliably reproduce the issue:

• It doesn't happen all the time but still quite often making  sleep mode a risk to use.
  • In case sleep mode has crashed, it will not work properly until reboot. By doing a full power cycle (i. e. restarting the system), the issue can be temporarily fixed.

According to the release notes, this issue was known and supposed to be fixed with driver version 31.0.101.4644 (“fixed: System may hang while waking up from sleep. May need to power cycle the system for recovery”).

However, for me using the latest drivers, the issue still persists.

I have attached a system report. A driver update fixing this issue would be very much appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
FlyingFireTree

I have formulated this problem more precisely here after this had been marked as spam for a while. I would suggest to continue in the other thread and close this topic.

0 Kudos