Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1672 Discussions

Arc A750 Power consumption and clock frequency

White
Beginner

So far I did the same as High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card said, but the idle power consumption of the GPU is still around 42w.

All Bios changes done and also the energy settings in windows, but in vain.

Also I cheaked the PCI Express on the hwinfo64 that indicated the status of ASPM was in L1 Entry successfully.

But the GPU frequency still goes around 1000MHz in idle.

Then I asked others who had the same issue. And I found that if the cpu does not have a core graphics card, the power problem would remain unsettled.

So I want to know whether it is true. And if that is the case, what is the new solution.

In addition, the GPU frequency in the AIDA64 goes between 300MHz and 1000MHz, which was strange. 

@intel 

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

Thank you for posting on the  Intel® ARC™ Graphics Communites. I see that you have concerns regarding the power consumption of your  Intel® ARC™ A750.

As pointed out in the article High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card there is a correlation between the power consumption and the number of monitors being used. Only a 1 or 2 monitor configuration allows for less power to be consumed with a resolution up to up to 4k@60 and up to 1080p@60 correspondingly. How many monitors do you have in your system and what resolution are you using?

Also is essential to mention that the power consumption when in idle state has not been defined by Intel and these values can vary since each system has different configurations in terms of software and hardware.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

I wanted to check if you had further concerns regarding the power consumption of the Intel® Arc™ GPUs, in case you are experiencing any particular issue, please let us know the numbers of monitors you have and their resolution.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
Only one 1080p resolution screen. And my CPU model is i5-12400F, without a integrated graphics.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

I understand that you have 1 display at a 1080p resolution and the power consumption of your Intel® Arc™ A750 GPU is around 42W when idle. Is this a good summarization of the issue?

In this case, I would like to get detailed information on your hardware configuration so we can further troubleshoot the issue. Please share with us the following reports:

Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers(Only Intel Graphics Command Center)

Intel System Support Utility

I would like to also add that there is a newer driver version that includes power consumption fixes when Arc Control is installed so please update to version 31.0.101.4644 using Display Driver Uninstaller and let us know if the exact same issue happens.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

I see that you shared the report from the Intel System Support Utility in another thread, we appreciate the information. We are still missing the report from the Intel Graphics Command Center so we can confirm the firmware installed on this GPU as well as the information on your monitor.

From the log file that you shared with us, I noticed the latest driver 31.0.101.4644 is installed. Just to confirm, did you use Display Driver Uninstaller to uninstall the previous version and are you getting the exact same power consumption after the update?

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
Hello, when installing the new version of the driver, I selected the option for a clean installation. Regarding your suggestion, I will give it a try, but does this mean that I will need to use DDU to uninstall the old version of the driver every time I install a new driver to achieve the best results?
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

We generally advise installing the driver using DDU during troubleshooting or in case any issue arises as the first approach since DDU will take care of any leftover or corrupted files that might cause issues. There is no need to use it every time after regular driver updates if you are not experiencing any problems.

Please let us know the results once the installation is completed if the behavior is the exact same as initially reported, and also share with us the log from the Intel Graphics Command Center we requested in our previous post.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
Hello, I’ve been trying to export the reports as you mentioned, but it’s worth noting that ARC Control doesn’t support report exporting either. However, I have used AIDA64 to export the data of the display.
0 Kudos
White
Beginner
--------[ AIDA64 Extreme ]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

版本 AIDA64 v6.90.6500/cn
检测模块 4.6.876.8-x64
主页 http://www.aida64.com/
报告类型 本地报告
计算机 BELTA
用户 Administrator
操作系统 Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045.3324 (Win10 22H2 2022 Update)
日期 2023-08-23
时间 20:20

--------[ 显示器 ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[ AOC 2769 ]

显示器属性:
显示器名称 AOC 2769
显示器 ID AOC2769
型号 2769
显示器类型 27" LCD (FHD)
制造日期 第39周 / 2014
序列号 AAJE99A018198
最大可用屏幕 598 mm x 336 mm (27.0")
图像宽高比 16:9
水平扫描频率 30 - 83 kHz
垂直扫描频率 50 - 76 Hz
最大像素频率 170 MHz
最大分辨率 1920 x 1080
像素密度 82 ppi
伽马值 2.20
支持电源管理模式(DPMS) Active-Off

支持视频模式:
640 x 480 60 Hz
640 x 480 67 Hz
640 x 480
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

In order to create the report you will need to have Intel® Graphics Command Center installed on your system, if you do not have it, you can follow these instructions to install it:

How to Install the Intel® Graphics Command Center From the Microsoft Store

Once the software is installed make sure you are following the instructions in the article Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers (only need to follow instructions for Intel Graphics Command Center (Intel GCC).

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

Thank you for sharing the report with us. When replying to the thread, please only reply under this one and avoid creating duplicate threads so we can assist you better and in a faster way.

Now that we have all the needed information, allow me to further check this with our team as well if there are any correlations when not having an iGPU and power consumption. I will post back once I have more information on this topic.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
In addition, it is worth mentioning that Intel can develop a low-power mode detection application for arc graphics cards, so that it is more convenient for us to determine the problem.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

We appreciate your suggestion, a low-power detection software is a good recommendation, and I will be glad to share this feedback with our team. We continue checking the information that you provided in regard to this power consumption issue. I will get back to you once I have an update.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Darklegion1978
New Contributor I

Hi @White , seen your Thread an you can give this a try!

I had the same Issue with my Asrock A770 Card, never used less then 40 Watt´s in Idle.

All settings done as Intel provided, Intel thought its my NVME, but never though thats Intels fault an FW.

I Seen 3 Month ago, that Asrock provides an FW Update on theyr Website, to correct the Idle Power, after that FW Update it works well here with my Asrock Card.

In the FW File you can download, theres also a FW for the Gunnir Card, and Acer Card.

Maybe you want to give it a try.

The Link for the FAQ and click on "Q: How can I let my ARC graphics card enter power saving mode? (2023/4/11)"

ASRock | Intel Arc A770 Phantom Gaming D 8GB OC

Then you will be able to download the FW Update, and read the to-do

Heres the Link to Download it directly too

https://download.asrock.com/TSD/Desktop/FAQ/IGFXUpdate(v1.0.1).zip

It needs a little Time and PC restarts after the Update. But at me it worked and after i have an idle now of 7 to 20 Watts

Give it a try if you like.

Greetings Roman

0 Kudos
White
Beginner
My card is from Gunnir so I not sure whether it will work. And I am interested in the FW update that I have never seem before.
0 Kudos
White
Beginner
0 Kudos
Darklegion1978
New Contributor I

And you activated ASPM L1 for Pcie in the Bios, plus the power plan in windows where Pcie is set to max energy saving?

If its not working, it was a try, sorry mate.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

We want to let you know that we have tested the settings on one of our Limited Edtion GPUs and were able to set it to the low power state with no issue. Sometimes some of the settings outlined in the article High Power Consumption when Intel® Arc™ Graphics Card is Idle can be named in a different way depending on the motherboard manufacturer or they can be located on a different BIOS menu, Due to this we wanted to ask you to please contact your motherboard manufacturer and please work with them to make sure all the required settings are being configured properly.

At the moment we are also trying to get a Gunnir model GPU so we can test in a GPU similar to yours. We appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello White

I wanted to check if you had the chance to contact your motherboard manufacturer to double-check on the ASPM settings configured on your BIOS menu. Please let us know if there was any change.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos