Intel® ARC™ Graphics
Get answers to your questions or issues when gaming on the world’s best discrete video cards with the latest news surrounding Intel® ARC™ Graphics
1620 Discussions

Request for make SYSFS files user accessible in Linux.

rexHK417
Beginner

Intel CPU work awesome with Linux but you guys need to make sysfs usable without root since it hampered my usability on my IGPU and I am afraid to buy Intel ARC GPU for Linux since the OS cannot get access to sysfs file without root.
AMD and Nvidia GPU supports GPU Utilization in Linux without root.

Hope you guys get my message ASAP and hope you guys make sysfs more accessible for Linux.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rexHK417,

Thank you for posing in the Intel Communities. We would be more than glad to assist you with your request to make SYSFS files user accessible in Linux. To better assist you, We would like to confirm the following information:

• You mentioned that your IGPU usability is being impacted by this. However, we would like to ask what is your IGPU or CPU model.
  • When you said that you are afraid to buy an Intel ARC GPU for Linux. Does it mean that you are planning to buy an Intel Arc GPU?
  • Please, share with us the Linux distribution you are using.

Best regards

Jean O.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
rexHK417
Beginner

Sorry for late reply Jean.

I am using Ubuntu based distribution (I even used Arch and Fedora based distro) 

Reason not buy to Intel GPU yet:

Intel didn't fix this very old bug that prevent other DE to use SYSFS without root/admin access.
which is pretty dumb and since this issued still exist.
Nvidia and AMD GPU show all stats on the system monitor without fussing around. (On Windows everything works fine)

my i5 12600K CPU works like charm but I feel annoyed not to see GPU stats without intel-GPU-tools in Terminal and IK it is sound like excuse but the time is changed and terminal still have their place but it would be nice GUI feature to regular user for user)

I really hope there will be standard API for Intel GPU or any easy access to sysfs without root access.

I usually play indle game and minecraft almost all version (1.7.10 still run like rotton apple but it would fine for newer version of modded server)

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rexHK417,

Thank you for the information provided. We thank you for sharing your thoughts and recommendations about making SYSFS files accessible to users. Your feedback is always welcome, as it helps us improve our products and the user experience. We will proceed to share the information you provided with the appropriate team; unfortunately, we are unable to commit to an outcome or update about this matter.

We will proceed to look into this matter internally. We will post back as soon as we have more details.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello rexHK417,

We appreciate your patience on this matter. We want to let you know that we have passed your suggestion to be evaluated. We will now proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards

Jean O.

0 Kudos