Intel® FPGA Software Installation & Licensing
Installation and Licensing that’s includes Intel Quartus® Prime software, ModelSim* - Intel FPGA Edition software, Nios® II Embedded Design Suite on Windows or Linux operating systems.

Questa License Issue

zekimohammed3
Beginner

Hello there,

I am having an issue were I am using Questa version 22.1 to simulate for Quartus version 22.1. I am getting the issue where it says, unable to checkout a viewer license necessary for use. I was able to use the tool yesterday without any issue.

Any Ideas

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Good day

Apologize for the inconvenience happen, there are some technical issues due to upgrading proses. Now the license generator issue has been resolved. Login to https://licensing.intel.com/ to get your new license file and let us know how it goes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Good day

Apologize for the inconvenience happen, there are some technical issues due to upgrading proses. Now the license generator issue has been resolved. Login to https://licensing.intel.com/ to get your new license file and let us know how it goes.

0 Kudos
zekimohammed3
Beginner

Thank you, I was able to generate another licensee, that was able to fix my issue.

0 Kudos
WWood7
Beginner

Hi, I am having a similar issue. I recently got a license for Quartus Prime Pro 22.4 and more recently checked out a free license for "FPGA Starter Edition SW-QUESTA."  The Questa problem returns an error and quits.  It says I cannot checkout a "qsimstarter" license. Can you help me? I got another license yesterday, but it didn't help. (It is LP-117029).

Last year I had an earlier version of Quartus installed and had no problems running Questa.

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Sounds good, hope everything is working well at your side. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos
Ant09
Beginner

Hello, 

I am having the same issue but requesting another license does not resolve the problem. 

The software worked without any problem yesterday.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Hello,
I know that various problems with empty or non-functional Questa license files have been reported. I experienced a situation where a newly generated license wasn't recognized by Questa Intel Starter Edition. As it turned out, the license was correct, but there's an yet undocumented problem with license installation. According to installation manual, the license file shall be either listed in lm_license_file or mgls_license_file enviroment variable. This works normally. However, if a salt_license_server enviroment variable is present, because other Siemens software has created it, Questa is only checking this variable and skipping lm_license_file and mgls_license_file variables. The solution is to add the Questa license file to the salt_license_server entry.

Regards,
Frank
0 Kudos