Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
664 Discussions

Synthesizing the HDL that OpenCL aoc creates manually

Björne2
Beginner

I'm using the Intel FPGA SDK for OpenCL (aoc) to synthesize bitstreams. The tool creates a directory where it stores all generated HDL files. It think (I think) invokes Quartus to synthesize the design. My question is if I can take the generated HDL and myself run Quartus on it?

If so, can you please show me the Quartus commands for doing so?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Björne2,

Noted on the situation, unfortunately there is no such build flow available for either OpenCL or within Quartus to do so.

The current build flow for OpenCL are via creating the hardware configuration file through the aoc command.

Desire build flow might be similar to other tools mention above.

Note: Intel OpenCL are in the deprecated roadmap.

Best Wishes

BB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Björne2,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope all is well.

If I understand the asked correctly you are looking for something on custom IP compilation which will be integrated in quartus. For that OpenCL are not possible as the design complation are based on BSP.

Hence perhaps what you are looking for is more toward Intel HLS or Intel OneAPI IP Authoring.

You will be able to find more details of both mention tools in the link below:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683680/23-4/pro-edition-getting-started-guide.html

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/749869/22-4/getting-started-with-oneapi-ip-authoring-18311.html

Hope that clarify

Regards

BB

0 Kudos
Björne2
Beginner

Thanks for your answer but I think you misunderstood. In the directory that aoc generates there are subdirectories called board, ip, kernel_hdl, mem, pcie_ed, qdb, reports, and scripts. Shouldn't it be possible to take what's in these directories and invoke the Quartus tools to create the bitstream myself? I want to do this as a learning exercise.

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Björne2,

Noted on the situation, unfortunately there is no such build flow available for either OpenCL or within Quartus to do so.

The current build flow for OpenCL are via creating the hardware configuration file through the aoc command.

Desire build flow might be similar to other tools mention above.

Note: Intel OpenCL are in the deprecated roadmap.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Björne2,

Great! Good to know that your doubts has been clarify, with no further clarification on this thread, it will be transitioned to community support for further help on doubts in this thread. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support.

Thank you for the questions and as always pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes

BB

0 Kudos