Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

Problem switching from 16GB Optane to 32GB Optane

DUhrí
Beginner

Hello guys, i have problem installing my 32gb optane, i have lenovo notebook and it contains 16gb optane when i tried swapping them i just got error with no booting device, but there is 1tb disk inside too

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

I understand that you would like to switch the Intel® Optane™ Memory from the 16GB version to the 32GB one, but you are getting a booting issue once you have changed them.

Just for you to know, for notebooks/laptops that come with the Intel® Optane™ Memory enabled, it's recommended to contact the manufacturer directly as these systems are usually setup by them with special settings and a change may cause the system to doesn't work properly.

Having said this, I can try to help you as you are just switching the modules, but please keep in mind that contacting the manufacturer is always the best recommendation.

Could you please let me know if you disabled the 16GB module before disconnecting it?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
DUhrí
Beginner

Hello, before I will tell you any more info I just want to say thank you! So my laptop model is Lenovo 330S-15IKB, I can try contacting the manufacturer but I live in Slovakia so its a bit harder because IT sector isnt so popular here..., Everything I did was I unscrewed the 16GB version and I screwed in the 32GB, also there is nothing special in BIOS that would help me solving it... , and I dont think I´m able to turn on system without the 16GB Version

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

Thank you for the information.

If I understood you well, you just removed the module from the laptop and then inserted the other one, right?

If that's correct, then that would be most likely the reason of the issue. If the Intel® Optane™ Memory was installed and working in your system, it had to be disabled first before removing it, otherwise the module itself and the Windows* OS won't work properly, since information from the system is still in the module and the module still have information of the system.

Please try to insert again the 16GB module and see if the OS can boot. Hopefully any setting were corrupted.

If you can boot let me know so we can proceed to disable the module properly from the system.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
DUhrí
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

That's great.

From Windows*, run the Intel® Optane™ Memory application so you can disable the module.

If you don't have it installed yet, please download it from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28072/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28072/Intel-Optane-Memory-User-Interface-and-Driver-for-System-Acceleration?product=99745

On the other hand, if you already have installed the Intel® RST application, you can use this one too to disable the Intel® Optane™ Memory. If you do have this tool installed, you won't be able to install the Intel® Optane™ Memory application I mentioned above.

Please let me know which tool you have and check if you can see the module and disable it. If not sure, please take a screenshot of the tool so that I can see the settings as well.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

I'd like to know if you were able to switch the modules and start using the Intel® Optane™ Memory 32GB, or if you still need help with the process.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
DUhrí
Beginner

Well, hello im actually in germany, ill come back in few weeks then ill write here! thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

Thank you for the update.

Please let us know once you come back if everything is working fine.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos
DUhrí
Beginner

Hi Im back im going to install the RST app and ill tell you more

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

Thank you for the update.

From our previous discussion, what you would have to do is to disable the Intel® Optane™ Memory (16GB) from the application. Once it's disabled, you can remove the module and confirm the computer is booting without the module connected. Then, try connecting the other module (32GB) and enable it from the application.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Brianmsk,

I'd like to know if you have any updates.

Regards,

Diego V.

0 Kudos