Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1345 Discussions

SSD from internal to external with adapter

McStace
Beginner

Hey,

what is the best adapter to use for the INTEL HBRPEKNX0203A

i had it as an internal ssd in my laptop, but after a failed Win11 update i cant start windows anymore so i need to save the data, i want remove it and read the data from another pc,

but with wich kind of adatper, i already bought one but it doesnt seem to work even tough the specs seem to fit,

i can read it with CrystalDisc, but it doesnt appear anywhere else. The adapter appears only in the devicemanager.

Thanks for ideas!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This drive can be put into a standard USB-to-NVMe adapter and read on another PC, but - and this is a big 'but' - this is an Optane SSD and there is the possibility that some of the active data for the drive - possibly including file system structure definitions - will be stored in the Optane cache memory portion of the drive and thus not available when doing standard NVMe access to the SSD portion of the drive. This could result in seeing file system (folder) structure and/or data file corruption. If this is the case, what you may have to do to recover files from the drive could be very complicated. Again, this is just a possibility; you may get lucky and be able to grab the files that you need without issue.

Good luck,

...S

0 Kudos
McStace
Beginner
Thanks for the quick answer,
I already bought a fitting adapter from amazon but it doesnt work, i can see the adapter in device manager and i can see the ssd in crystaldisc and intel MAS but i cant see it in files or acces it in any kind, i even put it in another pc, m2 nvme slot on the mainboard and i have the same issue… what driver do i need and or wich bios change do i have to do.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You don't need any additional drivers. The drivers for USB storage volumes is built into Windows. In theory, you should be able to see the Optane and SSD portions of the drive as separate 'devices' (other folks have reported this; I have never tried myself). Whether you can then see the files in the SSD portion is going to be dependent upon whether its integrity is or is not dependent upon the information stored in the Optane portion. If it is, the file system may not be fully accessible (and perhaps not even accessible at all). In this case, without Intel RST installed and running, you definitely aren't going to have these two portions work together - and I believe that Intel RST will only work with internally-accessible drives (i.e., not external USB drives).

Sorry, I really can't extrapolate any further. @LeonWaksman - any thoughts here?

...S

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

you may try the following:

1. The PC your are using for data recovery from the INTEL HBRPEKNX0203A installed on the external adapter should be booted from UEFI boot (the legacy boot is not supported by H series SSD)

2. Try boot your laptop into Advanced Menu, using from Microsoft Installation Media, while the INTEL HBRPEKNX0203A is installed in its original slot.

-In Advanced Menu, open the Command Prompt and execute diskpart command.

- In the diskpart prompt execute list volume .

- if you see the H series SSD you may continue 

- execute exit to exit from diskpart

- use xcopy to copy files form the ssd to the new location.

That is all what come on my mind right now.

Leon

0 Kudos