Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)
16614 Discussions

Activating Clamping Diodes

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi you all, 

Does anybody know how to activate the clamping diodes in quartus II? I am trying to configurate a Cyclone EP1C6 and I need to turn on that option since I want to interface my FPGA with a 5V device. 

I also would like to know if the clamping diodes are available for all I/O pins, or if it is only available for those I/O Banks that allow the PCI I/O standard. 

Thanks 

diriver63
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

to my knowledge, PCI clamp diode is available for all Cyclone pins, the same with Cyclone II: It can be enabled in Assignment Editor or Pin Planner (after activating the PCI-IO column). But I never used it, mainly for the following restriction, that makes the option effectively useless in interfacing 5V signals to my opinion: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Because 5.0-V tolerance in Cyclone devices require the use of the PCI clamping diode, and the clamping diode is only available after configuration has finished, be careful not to connect 5.0-V signals to the device. (From Cyclone devive handbook) 

--- Quote End ---  

I suggest to use resistive dividers or 74LVC buffers instead. 

Regards, 

Frank
0 Kudos