Intel® Quartus® Prime Software
Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software, Design Entry, Synthesis, Simulation, Verification, Timing Analysis, System Design (Platform Designer, formerly Qsys)

Cyclone II

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do I add Cyclone II device to Quartus 13.1 Web Edition ?(works fine for Quartus 13.0)..... 

Only Cyclone III/IV is in then Device list, NOT the Cyclone II 

/Morten
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Altera has removed support of Cyclone II device family for Quartus 13.1.So you have to use earlier version of Quartus 13.1 for Cyclone II device family.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera has removed support of Cyclone II device family for Quartus 13.1.So you have to use earlier version of Quartus 13.1 for Cyclone II device family. 

--- Quote End ---  

Might we ask WHY? I am sure that the O/P and I are not the only two people who need to support legacy boards. Are we to be stuck with Quartus 13.0 from now on??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

according to other posts it seems like ALTERA has stopped (and will not re-establish) support for older devices in newer SW releases. By this decision of ALTERA anyone who has to support older designs has to keep an installation of QII 13.0 SP1 or stuck with this version. This will render the "shorter compilation, less resources, ..." marketing slogans for newer releases quite annoying... 

It is also quite obvious, that the next device to be dropped from list of supported devices will be the Cyclone III - it's just a matter of time...  

Perhaps the "trend" is towards special editions for each device familiy like the QII Arria 10 edition, which supports nothing like the Arria 10 devices... Space on HDD to have different versions installed in parallel - no matter to worry about...  

Finally - if you have to recall which feature you got familar with while working on the latest design was not included in the older QII version you have to fire up working on the "still to be supported design" keeps your brain trained ;-) (ok - a little bit sarcastic...) 

Nevermind this is nothing that is only ALTERA dropping devices from the list of supported ones. Maybe we - as ALTERA users - were spoiled during the last QII updates, as ALTERA did include support (maybe for longer time than other companies)...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Maybe we - as ALTERA users - were spoiled during the last QII updates, as ALTERA did include support (maybe for longer time than other companies)... 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, well, I may be less discerning than some, but development software is pretty much how I choose an FPGA vendor. An FPGA with IO pins is all I need. Any FPGA, I just want it to be easy to use.  

so to spell it out, altera people, if you screw up the development support I will change vendors! 

(hahaha I’m sure they are scared now…)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

so to spell it out, altera people, if you screw up the development support I will change vendors! 

--- Quote End ---  

well that requires you know which vendor to Change over (I assume it's not your intention to face this issue with "the other vendor's development Software" :-D
0 Kudos